The Firearms Forum banner

Opinion on CZ-75 pistols.

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
I love how these look and think this may be my next purchase. Any experience with them good or bad?

#4 ·
I have the SPO1 tactical that I use for home defense, love it. I also have several (8) CZ rimfires. Top quality firearms, handguns and long guns.

#5 ·
The CZ 75b is one of the most copied guns in the world
There is a reason for this

Look at how the slide sits down into the frame
It makes it a very stable platform
My CZ75b is one of my favorite range pistols
The only take away is that due to how far the slide sits down into the frame there isn't much of it left to grab and manipulate with your hands this can make it difficult if you are someone with large hands like me whereas with a Glock the slide sets fully on the frame and is very easy to manipulate

When I bought mine I looked at a witness and a few other copies but I decided to buy the one that everybody was copying and I'm glad that I did

#6 ·
I believe Big Mak has and carries a CZ-75. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure he just took it on his trip to Florida with him. He has nothing but good praise for them. Maybe you should talk to him, Aaron. Pick his brain and get his experience.

Reactions: dbcooper
#8 ·
Check Bud's Gun Shop. They have a CZ-75BD for $573 and free shipping.

#10 ·
I am a huge CZ fan, anything CZ, in fact. But for me it started with a CZ75 clone in about 1986. CZ are made in what is now the Czech Republic. CZ was behind the Iron Curtain and products were embargoed here in the USA. So since its introduction in the 1970's you could not get real CZ 75's in the USA until the Iron Curtain fell in the late 1990's. The design is great and many others cloned it. Tanfoglio in Italy and the Israelis and Swiss made clones. Today Tanfoglio makes the Witness CZ clones. Witness clones vary in quality from gun to gun and include not only the 9mm option but a larger 45ACP and 10mm versions. My Witness in 45ACP matches my real CZ97B (45ACP CZ version) but apparently I may have gotten lucky as some others that report here would not agree. The bottom line is buy the real thing, a CZ, not a clone

CZ are the most gun for the least money. They have superior fit and finish but tend to be more tactical than beautiful. They shoot well, are ergonomically mated to my slightly smaller than normal hands, and are extremely well made. The CZ75B double action/single action triggers are hard to make match grade as the reset function in the trigger interferes with normal trigger jobs. But there were drop in trigger parts that make them single action rather than double action with the trigger pull much superior to original (think tactical trigger not match). And most importantly it is an all steel gun!

I highly recommend CZ75B's and the larger version CZ97. Few other guns and certainly no plastic guns even come close.

LDBennett

#13 ·
CZ internals can be made better with a few parts from CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works. A heavy stiff trigger can be made wonderful.:)

#14 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. I think they are the best looking pistols, along with the 1911 and HI Power. If the quality of Czech firearms is like that of Czech beer then I'm sure they are top notch. I have a feeling that I may be putting my Christmas bonus towards one.

#15 ·
It turns out that because of the design (reset function) you can not eliminate all the over travel. I have not seen anyone tackle that with drop in parts and/or modification of the parts there. The trigger design is unique and the guts are in a removable assembly unlike anyone else's trigger. But who knows? Maybe someone will come up with an over travel fix. For the use (tactical) the trigger is fine even with a little bit of over travel. The trigger pull level can be made totally acceptable and lighter.

LDBennett

#16 ·
I got turned off on auto-loaders early in my shooting life by a Colt Combat Commander that wouldn't fire two consecutive shots in a row - new out of the box. I did get it to work after removing all the burrs in and on the action. Even after that it would fail to fire 1 in about 100 rounds with hard ball ammo.
After not even considering an auto-loader for 44 years I decided I wanted to play in the 3 Gun competitions at the local range. I am good with my revolvers but they put even the best at a disadvantage in this game. Like you I did my homework and looked at a lot of guns. I decided on an all steel gun with at least 15 round capacity in 9mm for the lightest recoil. Getting accurate, successive, shots is what this game is all about. The CZ 75 B felt good in my hand so I bought it. The gun came with fixed sights - something I will change - and two magazines. I had the dealer get me two more mags. I got four boxes of different kinds of ammo and the gun digested all of it without a hitch. I reloaded the brass from 1.5 grains below the starting load to the maximum load with both 115 and 124 grain bullets. The gun never failed to operate smoothly and accurately. Once I settled on my load I could hold groups under an inch at 25 yards - even with the small sights.
You won't be disappointed with the CZ 75B!

#17 ·
As stated, CA75 has been cloned a lot and you will be very had pressed to find anyone that has something bad to say about the gun. If I may suggest, do not assume clones are bad. I have the Baby Eagle (sans Jericho) and LOVE in 30 foot tall letters begins to describe it and it is basically a modern Jericho which was built on the CZ75 design.

I recently read that the original Jericho could be converted to a .41AE ergo the designation 941; after learning that a Jericho 941 with the conversion kit made my MUST have list.

I promise, I do not have an addition, I only need three . . . maybe four more guns then I will quit buying guns cold turkey . . . really, I can do this. . . as soon as I get those last four . . . maybe five . . . .

#18 · (Edited)
Not sure how I missed this thread?

My CZ75 PCR Compact is my main conceal and carry for every day grocery getting, sitting at home, walking the dogs. Lightweight (Alum frame, steel slide), accurate out to 50 feet.
It's also my IPDA pistol as well as my travel weapon via airlines.

Lightweight, accurate, nice beaver tail and grip that form fits to your hand like no other pistol (And believe me, I have VERY large hands)....and it likes 124 gr bullets best. CFE Pistol Powder at the warm load end. (Damn, I should be a salesman for CZ)

My main conceal for downtown areas, shady, uncertain places is ALWAYS .45ACP (Colt Commander) but the CZ75 PCR is my relief pitcher for all other situations.
14+1 or 16+1, you'll always have "1" left. ;)

Product Brown Gun Firearm Photograph

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Black

Product Brown Gun Firearm Orange

#19 ·
My opinion is exactly that,,,
just my personal bias for the guns.

Several years ago I wanted a hi-capacity Wonder-Nine,,,
I belong to a rifle-pistol club with friendly members.

I was fortunate to be able fire several dozens of high end 9mm's,,,
Due to the fit in my hand and it's feel when I fired it,,,
I chose the CZ-75B as my go to pistol.

I liked it better than any of the Sigs, Glocks, HK's, S&W's, Rugers, Etc I fired,,,
I have smaller hands than some people and many of the guns I couldn't get a good grip.

The 75B had the grip I could wrap my fingers around nicely,,,
That and it's overall reputation convinced me to buy one.

I was flush for cash at the time,,,
So I also got the CZ-75B Kadet in.22 LR.

I won't go so far as to label it the best pistol out there,,,
But I will say it's my absolute favorite 9mm pistol,,,
And I fired a lot of guns to determine this.

Aarond

Reactions: Big Mak
#20 ·
My first 9mm was a FIE (Tangfolio) CZ 75 clone. The minute I picked it up it felt great in my hand. I too have smaller hands. The FIE gun failed just like the importer/distributor. at that point they were not very good guns. The minute CZ was imported after the Iron Curtain fell along with the embargo of Czech guns I bought a CZ75B and a CZ97 along with the Cadet 22 conversion unit. I later bought a CZ452 bolt 17HM2, a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet, a CZ 550 Varmint in 308 and a CZ Prestige in 30-06. CZ makes great guns. I even bought their Canvasback 12 gage over/under shotgun. I later bought a CZ 452 22LR Scout for the grandson.

I have many guns and the CZ are at or near the top of the better ones.

LDBennett

#22 ·
My first 9mm was a FIE (Tangfolio) CZ 75 clone. The minute I picked it up it felt great in my hand. I too have smaller hands. The FIE gun failed just like the importer/distributor. at that point they were not very good guns. The minute CZ was imported after the Iron Curtain fell along with the embargo of Czech guns I bought a CZ75B and a CZ97 along with the Cadet 22 conversion unit. I later bought a CZ452 bolt 17HM2, a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet, a CZ 550 Varmint in 308 and a CZ Prestige in 30-06. CZ makes great guns. I even bought their Canvasback 12 gage over/under shotgun. I later bought a CZ 452 22LR Scout for the grandson.

I have many guns and the CZ are at or near the top of the better ones.

LDBennett
This is going to be my retirement goal. Many CZs.
My next rifle purchase will most likely be a CZ 527 Carbine (Shoots 556 Nato or 223) unless a reproduction Sharps 45-90 slips in it's place first. :)

#21 ·
CZ curve on the grip/frame is what sells them. It forces the web of your thumb into the beaver tail web, ergonomically correct for the hand in that position.

They used to be a top quality, low cost pistol, now they're a top quality, top cost pistol (not as much as Kimber equivelent or comparable, but up there)

#26 ·
Big Mak:

CZ 75B pricing in 9mm starts at just over $600 at Gallery of Guns. For that same or more money you get a plastic wonder gun. Colts, Kimbers and other all metal guns are often times a lot more. I would not call CZ 75B pricing expensive at all considering they are all steel.

When CZ-USA started up here in America back around 2000, all their guns were the most gun for the least money. Over time the pricing has, as you indicated, moved towards the competition. But the quality has in my opinion been better than the competition. And add to that rifles with set triggers, all steel pistols, and bargain priced Over/Under shotguns of very high quality (Made in Turkey under CZ supervision and QC). I have many CZ's and each is a jewel. Most were bought more than 10 years ago when the pricing was relatively less than today but everyone else guns skyrocketed in price after the 2008 Obama election. Gun pricing increases in general are much more than inflation because of demand, I would guess. It is just good business to get the most you can for your product. CZ's are still reasonably priced for what you get.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.