1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Opinion on Ruger MK 77 Mark II Rifles

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by phlmorgan, Nov 3, 2006.

1. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

I bought a new M 77 Mark II in .243 about a year ago on a whim and it is the only modern center fire rifle I have. I have not shot it all that much and and it seems to be a fine rifle. I have recently been more interested in pistols or .22's.

All the other center fires are customs my grandfather made. Mauser 98(8mm) and a GEW 98 (.270) and an 30.06 that my grandfather made that is based on what I believe is a Springfield action. I also have an SKS 7.69x39 and an Enfield .303. (like variety in calibers:) :) :) :) )

Does anyone out there own the Ruger? What are your overall thoughts of the quality of this gun? Is it comparable to Remington 700, Winchester 70 or Brownings A Bolts?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I own or have owned Winchester Model 70 (post 1964), Browning A-Bolt, Remington Model 700, several models of CZ (22 Hornet and 550 long and short actions), and a Ruger 77 (MKI).

For pure beauty the Ruger and the Browning certainly had the finish with the Winchester not far behind. The Remington was utilitarian in appearance. The CZ's are absloutely the most guns for the least money and their finish is about half way between utilitarian and fine.

For accuracy the CZ's have it all with the Remington not far behind. I sold the Winchester and replaced it with a CZ. The A-bolt was actually my sons and it shot OK but not well enough for him to keep. He traded it in on a shotgun.

The Ruger was in 243. I bought it in a distressed state (purely cosmetic exterior rust that cleaned off with fine steel wool) with the idea of it being a project gun. The plan was that I would accurize it and replace the barrel with a heavy match one. But I first shot it as delivered as a referrence point. It did not shoot all that well even with customized loads developed over several tries. The trigger was adjustable unlike the Ruger 77 MKII and I could get it to a light crisp level easily. I did the accurization and put a heavy match barrel (6mm Bench Rest) on it and have yet to get it to shoot where I think it ought to but I have not really put the effort into load development, yet. The accuracy MAY be there but only time will tell. The accurization work, which I did on my home lathe, was time consuming (had to make fixtures and jigs to do it right), took nearly a year of spare time to do, and I would not do it again(!!).

The Ruger is made different than most other guns in that its receiver is an investment casting. The Remington, CZ and Winchester were all either turned from billet or tubing or forged, I believe. I have no idea how the Brownings are made (?). Ruger makes all their guns with investment casting so that should not be a problem but...... If done right investment casting is OK but there are a lot of places in the process where it can go wrong. CZ barels are hammer forged while I think most American manufacturers use button rifling techniques.

If I were to buy another bolt gun it would most definitely be a CZ. The triggers are optionally set trigger or regular trigger (either way the triggers are good right out of the box). The fit and finish are very good. The accuracy is great. The wood is very good and sometimes unique. They are made in a completely modern CAD/CAM equipt factory. And the price is right!

What do you do with your Ruger? Keep it, shoot it , enjoy it but be aware that there are better guns out there.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have two Ruger MK77 Mark II, left handed, bolts guns, one in .30-06 and the other .270 Winchester.

I have found each to be fine shooters, accurate as any I've had in my seventy + years, with a fine finish on both wood and metal. I would personally prefer the Ruger to the others if I were a solid bolt man, which I am not. However, my two sons are strong bolt men and would have no other.

I grew up with levers, Marlin, in my hands since age 5, and prefer shooting deer and other big game with my Browning BLR Lightning 30-06!!!!!
  4. old fart

old fart New Member

have a number of rugers 1-.223,1-.243,3-30-06, 1-.338, I Have had only1 problem with the group. something got in the trigger of one of the 30-06s and had to send it to ruger for repairs..No charge, back in less than two weeks... Any of these rifles will shoot moa if i do my part. All are scoped with 1.5xor 2 1/2 x powerscopes not variablesfixed power only
    2 1/2 x is good enoughfor any hunting situation. is lighter and less prone to leakage... find a good heavy bullet load for yours and enjoy. Best wishes from Alaska.....
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  5. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

I put on a Bushnell 3x9 on mine. Mainly cause I can't see that good.

I usually use Hornady 75 gr the few times I have shot the gun, but I have bought some 100 gr ammo to try next time out.

I don't hunt much at all but have thought about some Havelina hunting. I thought the .243 would be enough gun, any thoughts?
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I use a Burris Fullfield II on all my rifles. They have proven to be the best for my use for the money.
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

PHL, They are some fine rifle.
    A year ago does it have the accu trigger?
  8. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Actually it was more like two years ago (just have'nt used the gun), so it does not have Accu-Trigger, but I am happly with the factory pull. I like it to be little stiff because I have big ole fingers and a light trigger pull might be an accident waiting to happen.
  9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have a M77 Mark II .30-06 in synthetic/stainless and have had no problems with it. It is as accurate as I can shoot it and does a fine job on deer and wild hogs. There are probably better rifles out there and some day I may get one that is better, but if I do, I'll still have my Ruger too.
  10. stetson

stetson New Member

I have mark 11 in 270 flavor and I had it for 10 years. It's very accurate
    and was a good purchase and just one of many ruger rifles I own.
  11. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

I have a number of Ruger M77s, 2 in 243, 1 in 30/06, 2 in 338, 1 in 358, 1 in 35 Whelen, and 1 in 458. All are Mk Is except one of 338s (Mk II) and the 35 Whelen (transition). The 338 Mk I and the 458 are sub-MOA guns, the 30/06 is MOA, the 338 Mk II, the 358, and the 35 Whelen are around 1.25 MOA and the 243s (1 heavy bbl, 1 std) are both around 1.5 MOA.
    I don't know what it is with the 243s, being a varmint caliber they should shoot sub-MOA, but I haven't been able to wring better than 1.5 MOA out of either or them. Maybe Ruger has trouble making good 243 barrels, or maybe I just got a couple of lemons.
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  12. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

As to the second part of your question, I have 4 Win. M70s, 22/250, 338, 378 Wea. (rechambered), and 458. They all shoot very well. I have one Rem. M700 in 416 Rem. (Shilen bbl and kevlar stock) and one Browning A-Bolt in 375 H&H, and they both shoot very well also. I also love the light weight of the A-Bolt.
    The Rugers (except for the 243s) hold their own with any of them and I am well pleased with them.
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  13. mpdc3870

mpdc3870 New Member

I also have a M77 MKII in .243. Overall I think its a fine hunting rifle. Not quite the tack driver I was hoping for, but is certainly accurate enough for deer and such. I have a Remington 700 that has shot sub-MOA for 10 years with just about any ammo I throw into it. My Ruger will consistently give me 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch groups, but is very particular about what loads it likes. I think it's a great looking rifle, classic lines, very modest and feels good in the hand. And although I can nitpick about a 1/4 inch here or there, I cleanly dumped a whitetail last week at 325 yds. Cant really bitch when there's meat in the freezer.
  14. LASSIE

LASSIE New Member

I have Ruger mk11's in 220 swift--243--2506--& 300 win mag
    in question to your 243's
    I reload sierra 70 gr, bthp's with IMR 4064 42.0 grains at 3500 fps
    and they will put 10 shots in 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yards
    I have been reloading for 48 years and never buy factory ammo
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  15. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

Lassie, I'll have to try that load sometime. Both of my 243s are MkI, and I haven't been able to do better than 1.5 MOA with either, using both handloads and factory ammo. Might be that the MKII uses different barrel specifications.
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER