opinion on Stoeger Side by Side shotguns

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gohokies82, Jan 16, 2007.

1. gohokies82

gohokies82 New Member

I'm interested in buying a side by side 12 gauge shotgun but don't have a big budget. What are everyones opinion on Stoeger?
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I have one in .410 bore that the kids use for informal clay pigeon shooting. It works well and I am quite pleased with it.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Stoeger doesn't make any guns......they import them from various manufacturers with the Stoeger name on them.

Stoeger has a reputation to maintain, and I've never seen a Stoeger branded firearm that wasn't of very good to excellent quality.
  4. Goody

Goody Member

I have shot several over the last 10 years, and seen many more. They are widely used in CAS, and though robust they do have a couple of problems. I don't think either would manifest themselves with the normal handling a life of hunting/sport clay shooting would impose.

The firing pins will begin to mushroom after 2500-3000 rounds. Not too difficult to replace and there are some better aftermarket ones available now. The other thing is we Cowboy shooters are pretty rough on guns.We run them a lot harder than normal. The shotgun is loaded and reloaded on the clock. They are opened and closed rather hard, causing a lot of stress on the barrel lugs. These lugs will sometimes develope hairline cracks rendering the gun pretty much useless. If it has had an action job they will not warranty the gun and you are left with a bag of spare parts.

Again, I doubt seriously that you would ever encounter these problems in normal usage. The overall performance, when weighed against the initial cost makes these a true bargain. I see the Uplander model, 26 inch barrels with screw chokes going for around 400 new.
  5. njretcop

njretcop New Member

The Stoeger Co has been in business in New York for about 90 years. They are a fine company with a very good reputation.

Today they are more involved with their publication business, the Shooters Bible and Gun Digest, among others......
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I should add that the only drawback to the Stoeger .410 is that it requires a bit of force to recock after firing both barrels. It doesn't just drop open like a Beretta O/U.

The kids who shoot my .410 made me aware of this. The gun opens easily when cocked, so you won't notice this trait unless you dryfire both barrels at the store.

The .410 Stoeger has short & lightweight barrels. It's possible that the weight of the 12 ga. barrels will negate this little problem.