Opinions--Bersa Thunder 380

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by adjohns3, Apr 23, 2010.

1. adjohns3

adjohns3 New Member

I know 380 as a choice of weapon is a whole discussion in itself.

My wife likes the BERSA Thunder 380 Plus and wants some Crimson Trace lasers on it. I know the first rule...if that is what she like, then shut up and get it...but...
    I have read a lot on Bersa website about Bersa reliability, overall about the brand itself seeming to get good comments especially on that site.
    What do others think of Bersa? I know they are not the best/most expensive, but from what I can tell they are a long way from the worst too.

Seems to come down to they are a good value and reliability is good or better as a general rule.
    How about big pro or con on the laser sights? If she likes it, does practice with it on and off, should be ok?

What do the learned forum members think?
    :confused:
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

I think they have the best quality for a non-expensive gun.
  3. Argus

Argus New Member

I have a Thunder 380. It's been 100% reliable for over a year an several thousand rounds. I carry it occasionally, usually as a BUG.

I avoid laser sights as a rule. They are nearly impossible to see in bright sunlight and I prefer sights that don't require a battery.
  4. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

I bought one about 5 years ago and use it as my camping gun. Works great. smooth action, easy to break down and clean.

Pretty accurate little gun. I have run across some issues w/ stove pipes but that is from some Pro Mag magazines (dont get em). Never had a problem w/ the factory mags.

Shoot about 1000 rounds and not dissapointed. I dont like small pistols that much but this one fits in my hand w/ finger extensions on the mag. I have a Mauser Hsc and the Bersa's a better gun (IMHO), especially for the money.
  5. mcw120566

mcw120566 New Member

We purchased one for my wife some time ago, she has fireed "many" rounds through it, all without issue. She loves it and carries it every day with out hesitation.

I have shot it a few times, and cant say anything bad about it, and am considering purchasing another for a BUG.

IMHO, you get alot, for not alot of cash.
  6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had some initial problems with mine as the connector spring would pop out of its crimp. I fixed it with some Super Glue and it has worked fine ever since.

There must be others who have had the same issue as I found a Youtube that show a quick temporary fix. If the spring comes loose which keeps the trigger from firing properly, simply rotate your wrist 90 degrees to the left and shoot like a "homie gangsta". Apparently gravity takes care of the situation.

I agree on the No Laser Sites as you really can't see them in the light and this is an up close weapon.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Never owned one, but I hear people really like them for a conceal carry piece.
  8. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've had a Bersa 383A for almost 20yrs. It's been a near perfect firearm. I would highly reccommend a Bersa; even over ALL other brands.

You can go to: www.bersachat.com and learn all you want to know about the Thunder 380.

Honestly, you will be hard pressed to find "many" Bersa owners who have had problems.
  9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

+1. I had laser sights, found them to be more for show than anything else. I did not want to fumble with a 1mm wide switch to power it on, and the battery was only good for about 40 hours. No way I would bet my life on that, Trijicon sights are what I have now and I train with them regularly.
  10. Ursus

Ursus New Member

They are very decent performers
  11. Jim M

Jim M New Member

If your wife asked for it, refer to rule #1 :D
  12. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Bought one for my wife but never put laser grips on it. She does OK with it and it has been very reliable. Currently she prefers her Walther PK380 for its softer shooting feel.
  13. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Good quality, very few gunsmithing issues. Lasers have their place, never intended as a complete replacement for sights, great in low light conditions, especially for arms that don't have replacement night sights available.
    It's in the training, just as it is with any other sighting method.
  14. big steve

big steve New Member

Know people who have that and I have not heard any complaints about it seems to be a good gun
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think theyre good. JLA stamp of approval;)
  16. gschnarr

gschnarr New Member

We have 2. My wife's has 2000 rounds or more threw it with no problems at all. With mine, only about a 1000 or so. At first the rear sight blade fell off mine after I adjusted it and the warrantee center had a new one to me within a few days.What I have found is that they are VERY reliable and accurate. Besides that easy to clean and if ever necessary, they have a lifetime warrantee. I whole heartedly recommend them. Go to http://www.bersachat.com/ and look and ask questions/
  17. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

My wife is getting the bersa as well, I will post how she likes it.
  18. group17

group17 New Member

I've had a 380 for a couple years that has been nothing but reliable.
    Nice gun to shoot fits the hand really well. Much nicer to shoot then the micro 380's like the keltec and LCP.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just picked up a thunder 22 to go along with the thunder 380. Both are fantastic guns. The .22 is range accurate to 25 yds. Holds a 5" X 6" 50 round group at 75 feet. More than accurate enough and very impressive for a $150 pistol... I love it:D
  20. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I have put thousands of rounds threw many different Bersas and they all have been more than decent, they are a great value.

I have a Makarov that I LOVE. I would recommend one, but if your wife wants a Bersa, it would be a few hundred bucks very well spent.