Opinions/Experience: Rossi Lever Actions?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by jmichna, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jmichna

jmichna New Member

In addition to a small assortment of bolt-action and semi-auto long guns, I have a .30-30 Marlin 336C, which has been a fine lever-action rifle for me.

For a long time now, I've been wanting to add either a .44 mag or a .357 mag octagonal-barreled lever action to my collection.... just because ;)

Bud's has just got back in stock the Rossi .44 mag 24" octagonal blued barrel, case-hardened colored receiver and walnut stock for a price that seems pretty reasonable to me... $428.

I don't really know much about Rossi as a manufacturer, of either hand guns or long guns. I seem to recall some user issues with regard to Rossi revolvers, but that's a lot different design than the mechanics of a lever action rifle.

Any one had any experience with Rossi long guns, good or bad? Especially Rossi lever-actions?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

am interested in the replys also as am thinking of the rossi mod 92 in 454 casuel!!
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have been wanting the Rossi .44 Ranchhand. I have never shot any Rossi lever action guns though. Only lever gun I have is the Henry Big Boy.
  4. Benjamima

Benjamima New Member

I've been researching this some, as I'd like a levergun to complement my wheelgun.

From what I've gathered, Rossi, Marlin, and Winchester all make fine pieces. But you have to be careful in your ammo selection. Slightly too long of a cartridge can totally jam the gun, necessitating disassembly to clear it. Also, round nose bullets can rub on the primer of the round in front of them, causing a bit of a catastrophic chain reaction.

I like the trapper model carbines.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I own and thoroughly like Rossi 92 rifles. I have five - 357, 44 magnum, 45 Colt and two in 44/40. I've been told (although I don't know if it's true) that Rossi bought the machinery from Winchester, after Winchester had quit making 92s, so they are the closest to a "real" 92 of all the replicas, including the "new" Winchesters, which are made by Miyoko in Japan.

The Rossi can be a little rough. Gun makers don't want to pay for the hand work involved in fine fitting, like they did back in the day. On the 44/40 models, they have a rep for mangling the mouth of the case upon ejection (44/40 has a very thin case mouth. Other calibers have thicker walls and don't sustain as much damage).

Mine have all been to www.stevesguns.com for action work. He does the hand-fitting, and they come back slicker than snot on a doorknob. Well worth the 150 bucks Steve charges. I understand he now has a six-month waiting list.

All of mine are pre-safety, and made before Taurus took over the factory. I have no idea if the current ones are worth a damn.