Opinions needed, hows this?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by dark_falcon27, Jul 5, 2009.

1. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

I got in an argument today with a buddy of mine (friendly of course) who said that my home defense weapon wasn't quite enough, and that I will probably end up being outgunned if that worst case scenario comes to be. I realize that a shotgun is damn near hard to beat, and I'll get one eventually, but right now, my set up is an HK USP .40, with a 13 rd mag of Speer Gold Dots in it (one in the chamber as well), a second 13 rd mag of Cor Bon DPXs with it, and an M2 tac light on the rail. Also near the weapon is a MK3 Navy Seal Fighting Knife that sheath and all would slip easily into the pocket as I left my bedside. Does this sound underrated to anyone else but him? Here is the knife btw.

[​IMG]
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Some people cant fell safe unless they have a Howitzer pointing down the hall. I believe what you have would be more than enough.
  3. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Ahahahaha I have been laughing at that for the past 10 minutes. Don't know why but it struck a chord with me. Thank you for the agreement. I think in the case of my buddy (Navy), he would prefer a battery of 16'' deck cannons.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i think you're pretty well armed dark falcon. i keep a smith wesson 4006 40 cal, 11 in the mag + 1 up the pipe. gold dots here as well, just because it's what i have. and i keep my spare mags loaded with fmj's in case i have to shoot at a vehical or other object.

~john
  5. azsigman

azsigman New Member

Doc1911 New Member

I am assuming that you and the perp have guns. I you have already used your HK and fired 13 rounds and MISSED, I'd be running and not bringing a knife to what otherwise is a gun fight. Have you ever been trained on how to use a knife? Of course you may be able to confuse him with a knife-gun:

[​IMG]

As Pistolenschutze said, "An H&K .40 is enough to ruin pert near anyone's day, IMHO."
  8. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Yes I have had some knife training, as well as levels 1-3 combatives training from the Air Force. I was thinking more along the lines of a scenario where I'd rather not waste the ammo if I realize that the BG is closer (as in directly around a corner) to me than I'd hoped.
  9. islenos

islenos New Member

Bad things don't always happen in the middle of the night.
    So, I have a shotgun in the kitchen, 1911A1 in the magazine rack by my recliner, .38 snubby in the garage, M&P .45acp on the bed stand and a big ugly bully dog to slow them up.

I no longer have kids in the house so I don't have that to worry about.
  10. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

If the perp has a gun he can shoot thru the wall before you round the corner with a knife .... I wouldn't put down/holster my HK to use the knife, but then I would also not put myself into a position having only a wall (unless it is poured concrete, etc.) for cover ... if it is a defensible wall, then I would go low and shoot accordingly when he rounds the corner ...

If someone comes into my home - I make him come to my fortified position(s) with pre-established lanes of fire ..... I do not go hunting for him ...
  11. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Lets not forget this is worst case scenario, and in worst case scenario, it never works out like we plan. But I agree whole heartedly with all that has been stated here.
  12. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

Agreed, that is why a shotgun is my first line of defensive with a Glock (or other...depending shere I am in the residence ...) as a backup.
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Do you know how to use them? If yes, they will do very well. If no, not really. :)
  14. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

The pistol will serve you well for the house, but I would ditch the knife and get a baton, or maybe a bat if collapsible batons are not legal in your area.

My grandfather willed my father his shillelagh, and my father left it to me. That's what I have when it gets down to "manual labor." That gnarly old hunk of wood will put a hurtin' on someone real good.
  15. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

After a lifetime of collecting, I have more than a few loaded weapons handy. Like many have already told you a .40 is a fine piece to have at your side. Its not the caliber its the placement. Practice practice practice. Thats the only sure way to know.
  16. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

+1 :)
  17. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Thank you all for the good advice. And as for practice, that I can assure you is both a pleasure, and good preparation.
  18. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Dark Falcon, I say use what you have and learn to make it work. In my opinion having a 40 cal pistol is better than having no firearm. Some will have strong opinions on both sides. You can always work toward upgrading later if situations change. Just my 2 cents.:)
  19. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

The best gun to have in a gun fight is the one you have with you it doesn't matter, if its not in your hand its not doing you any good. So I say you have plenty there have been many a bad folks lose thier lives to somthing smaller than .40
  20. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Pretty much any working firearm will trump a knife ASSUMING (and I don't like to) you have it out and ready. Guns just plain stop people from bothering you faster on average than knives do. That said, a knife in the hand is deadlier by 100% than a gun in a holster.
    You have a fine pistol with the USP .40, it will do the job as well as you direct it to.