Opinions needed on handguns.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Charles Christensen, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

My firearms hobby took a detour several decades back but I am getting back into it. I am really interested by the current handgun technology and I want to get one or two or more. But, I am a bit confused by the sheer mass available. To cut down the research I have to do I come to you guys for some opinions.

I am interested is automatics in .380, 9mm or .45. They should be in the compact or sub-compact categories, normal DA - not DAO, have a thumb safety (preferably one that blocks the firing pin), hammer or striker, with or without magazine safety and cost under $700.

One gun I am looking at is the S&W M&P 9c. Do you have any other ideas on what I should look at?
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of in the same boat, shot a lot years back but where I live now you can't just go out and blow off a few boxes.

I would read all you can, most here seem to know their business.
    Also try these charts, they can be VERY helpful!

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf

And welcome, mjp.
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've got (mainly older) rifles, shotguns, revolvers which I like and a very few semis.

I'm looking to upgrade with a few CCW guns and have pretty much narrowed the search -but- there are a LOT out there!!
  4. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

For a 9mm or .45 you would be happy with a glock, I know you want the external saftey and they actually make one for the glock, it's about $50. The glock 19 is the compact 9mm. I personally carry the glock 23, the compact .40 cal and love it. More stopping power than the 9 and very comfortable to shoot.
  5. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I can't make up my own mind. I'm looking to add another pistol but I keep bouncing from auto to revolver, auto, revolver......man it's tough!
  6. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

CC - If you dont mind the "modified DAO" mechanism concept of the Glock, they are certainly very popular, and based on commentary from many contributors here, are serviceable reliable pistols. They are available in a complete cross section of calibers, including those you have mentioned and in models from 'full sized' to ultra compact. I have no personal experience with em, other than cursory experience with those owned by friends. If you are looking for the traditional DA/SA action, you may wish to consider one of the Smith and Wesson models, which are also available in both full sized and "compact." Often you can find police trade ins, just like the Glocks, that are in good condition, and very reasonable priced. Sig is also a very good choice, and are certainly worth a look. I would suggest that you find either an extremely large, high volume retail firearms store, or a very large gun show, say 500 or more tables at least, and look at, and handle as many different models as you can, to figure out what fits your hand, lifestyle, normal clothing options, etc. the best.

Fuze - I understand your predicament! My two most common carry guns are a S&W Airweight 38 spec and a 1911A1 45 auto. And I have other calibers and configurations of revolvers and autos too. Its a tough decision, and I dont know how to best decide if I "like" an auto or revolver better. My to primary choices are very different in nature; the auto is large and heavy and the revolver is sleek and light; so they serve two pretty different purposes, depending on clothing, and where I am going/what I am doing.
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The thumb safety knocks out pretty much everything I would recommend.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I'm there with you plus I want to get one for me who's shot guns all my life and a "purse gun" for my wife who's never fired a gun but I think I've got her interested now.

I've always liked my .22LR, .22MAG, .38SP revolvers but none except my .22LR Snubby are realistic small carry guns and I want something over a .22.

I also have an el cheapo Italian semi .25 pocket gun I wouldn't trust unless you want to throw it at someone when it jams. Plus it has no punch at all.

With a $400+ price tag you can get an adequate gun, $700 a nice gun. The only hard thing is to pick just one!
  9. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

There is nothing wrong with the old standard .38spl Snub-Nose and there are many to choose from.

Personally, I carry a Sig P-238 .380 with Buffalo Bore Cast 105gr Bullets. It has become my 24/7 gun. I have it with me all the time. Right front pocket, with virtually no print. Also from time to time I'll carry my son's Glock 26 in 9mm which is Glocks true compact. They also have a Glock 27 which is .40 Cal, basically the same size as the 26 but a tad more powerful.

As you may have noticed, I carry it in Condition 1

Attached Files:

10. savage170

savage170 Member

take a look at the ruger SR seris they do have the thumb safety
  11. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I really like the new DAO striker fired pistols like the M&P and XD series. Really high quality pistols in my estimation. Just picked up another XD in 9mm today as a matter of fact. You can pick these pistols up and know that they are ready to go and you don't have to worry about switching a safety off. I personally like that.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you were to ask 50 people. you will probably get about 50 different answers or recommendations. I will go along with JohnnyFlake and recommend the P238. It is kind of like the American Express commercials, I don't leave home without it. Mine rides in the holster that Sig Sauer provides with some of them.
  13. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Important it is comfortable and concealable. And of course you know how to use it. Be safe, I'm sure you will find something to your liking as long as you keep an open mind. George is correct about everyone liking something different so don't worry about it. Good luck Charles, whatever you choose you will enjoy and be right for you!
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Johnny Flake, Nice pistol!!!
  15. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

Thank You!

I love that little thing. 6 + 1 in condition 1, Cocked & Locked. Shoots like a dream. I can hit head and/or center mass at will within 15'-20'. Felt recoil is negligible and accurate double-taps are easy. It's not an elephant gun but with proper shot placement, it will take care of business!

Spare mag in my cell phone pouch.