Opinions needed on handguns.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Charles Christensen, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

OK, interesting thinking. I guess my asking for a thumb safety does eliminate a lot of choices. I must say I have seen a couple of things I haven't considered before but it is still a bit confusing. So, let me say some things and ask for your opinions from a different angle.

The only problem I have with a Glock was something I read (maybe here) about someone having a part of his holster bending and snagging the trigger of his Glock and blowing a hole in his leg when he got into his car.

So, if you were carrying a small gun in your pocket, belt holster, fanny pack, purse or glove box; what auto pistols would you feel at ease with if it had a round chambered? Even wheel-gun people get a bit spooked with a fully loaded gun, hence the Ruger Security-six type action and the general habit of keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber.
  2. gundriller

gundriller New Member

one of my favorite 9mms is a CZ75 Compact, there are other CZ models, but it's hard to beat a 75 Compact, being all steel, DA/SA with manual safety and very accurate

//www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-compact/
  3. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I carry my Colt Defender in a belt slide holster with the hammer back and thumb saftey on. Gun is drawn in one quick movement and the safety flicked off as it comes up. There are several people out there who are scared of carrying a 1911 in Condition One. I am not one of those. I also carry a little 22 Mag Derringer in my hip pocket in a nice little wallet holster.
  4. wingspar

wingspar Member

That sounds like forum hogwash to me. If such a thing could happen, it wouldn’t be confined to a glock. In fact, due to the safety in the Glock trigger, highly unlikely.

Carry one in the chamber or not is one of those questions you will get pages and pages of opinions on. I don’t. Many do. Your choice.
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

The Ruger SR9c is just awesome. I own and carry one for my ccw.
    It has a great trigger on it, smooth and crisp. I enjoy shooting it. The sights are good out of the box but some may want the nite-site style. It is solid as hell and has the safeties that many want to see on a carry piece.

I highly recommend this gun.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I remember reading all about that - I saw the post and the photo's that went with it. I can't find it now but that is always the way when you want to provide something right. You should have seen the holster this guy was carrying in, it was about as worn as they come. I would not have been carrying loaded in his beat up holster. It did not even really cover the trigger.
  7. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

I carry a Bersa Thunder in an IWB Holster loaded with Corbon Pwrball ammo and trust it completley. Sometimes carry my Ruger SR9c 9mm and it is one nice gun to carry and shoot.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was in the same boat some time back. I wanted a new gun but didn't could'y make up my mind.

It had to be a 9 mil as I love to shoot and the cost of 9 mil is affordable.

I went to the range and rented a new one every week until I found the one I liked best. It came down to the Ruger SR9 and the Beretta FS.

The Beretta won. My son bought a Ruger SR9c so I can shoot it when ever I want anyway.
  9. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Basically just about any decent quality handgun will do, if you can and will do.

Even a poor quality gun will often do, if it will reliably fire its first shot, and you make your first shot count.

Your ability to effectively use and defend yourself with a handgun depends much more so on you (your skills and ability to be disciplined in an emergency) than the gun that you happen to have in your hand.
  10. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

IMG_0497[1].jpg This is my all the time carry one in the tube and i feel safe. But what do i know.
  11. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

Sorry that's a Springfield XD .45