Opinions of .357

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dark_falcon27, Sep 10, 2009.

1. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Good morning all,

I'd just like to hear some opinions of the .357 caliber as a whole. Experiences, reviews, or comparisons such as vs 9mm, .40, or .45 (since it is really a necked down .40). I may consider switching to .357 for my next purchase which was going to be a glock 19, but I may have my eye on a glock 32. Thanks
  2. Texxut

Texxut Member

I've been shooting .357 for many years. I find it to be a good, general use revolver cartridge. You can load it up or down depending on your intended use. It lends itself to small game, paper punching, the pin game, self defense, and just plinking. Yes, there are cartridges that are better for each specific discipline, but the .357 will get you in each game, just fine. One cartridge, one gun, much fun.
    Another consideration is the platform. What fits your hand and what calibre does it come chambered in. When people ask me what handgun they should get, my answer is always the same. "The gun you can shoot well".
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. questor

questor New Member

.357 sidearms used my the Anti-Sniper Teams protecting the prez
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I take it that you're looking at the .357 SIG, so in comparison to the others, it's alot higher velocity, penetrates much much further and is IMO a novelty round for most anyone outside of LE, also much harder to find ammo and more expensive too; you can reload for it, but is a little more labor involved than with the 9,40,45 or 357mag.
    There's been a few other discussions on this topic also, so a quick summary would be to say that if you end up buying the 32, it will probably be sitting there laying around before too long. There's not much functional use for the .357 sig unless you need to punch through car doors on a regular basis. Otherwise, stick with a .40 or .45 for true knockdown power, or the good old .357 Mag, hard to beat proven performance.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

gotta agree, the 357 mag is a fine cartridge, but a different beast entirely from the 357 sig