The Firearms Forum banner

opinions on 30-30 terminal performance at starting loads

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  accident 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been loading and testing 30-30 rds most of this week.Using a Marlin 336,IMR 4064, 150gr hornady FN,and also 150 gr RN.Starting low and working up the only groups of 1-1/2" I could get is with 30.0gr 4064 and the 150gr RN Hornady. Other charges were scattered,especially with the FN bullets.If this charge and bullet isn't acceptable for good terminal performance on GA whitetails,I'll have to wait and try again with a different powder and bullets. I wanted IMR 3031 but haven't found or seen any and the 170gr FN I have had on backordered since Stonehenge.Does anyone feel my load is adequate or should I wait on more components and back to the drawing board? If 30.0gr of IMR 4064 loaded behind a 150grRN hornady is sufficient then I'm good to go with this particular rifle.Any opinions appreciatted. Joe

#3 ·
No Shootbrownelk, not the leverevolutions, just Hornady interloc FN and RN std bullets for 30-30.I haven't tried the leverevolutions yet.I was trying what I already had. Thanks for responding.Maybe I should locate some if my current recipe isn't sufficient. Joe

#4 ·
My 30AW likes 150 gr Sierra over 31.5 gr of IMR 4320. I haven't tried round nose yet but I will once I can afford some and get a new place to shoot.

#5 ·
A 150 gr. 30 caliber bullet traveling at 2000 fps, should take anything that lives in GA! I haven't reloaded anything in 30/30, but I shoot one. I can tell you right now that the Hornady Leverevolution bullets shoot a lot flatter, so much so that you will have to readjust your sights to use them!

#8 ·
I can tell you right now that the Hornady Leverevolution bullets shoot a lot flatter, so much so that you will have to readjust your sights to use them!
True story. I bought a box of factory stuff from Hornady and when I went to the range, I thought something had happened to my scope it was that much of a difference.

1 1/2" groups with a 3 moa rifle isn't that bad.

Reactions: carver
#7 ·
wolfdog and carver,That's what I needed to hear.I'm surre there are reloaders using cast bullets with a lower charge and lower velocity than mine.I assume they have success hunting with them. Joe

#9 ·
I had the same experience when I tried them. I went back to standard bullets in the 30-30 because the Hornady Leverevolution cost so much more, and were not readily available at that time.

#12 ·
I'm using a scope.A new 3-7 power Weaver.At 100yds with open sights I would probably be lucky to get them in 12".I may get Dad's old Win 94 out and see one day.I'll definetly need a bigger orange sticker than the 2" ones I'm using now.It seems with open sights I can either see the sights or the target,not both at the same time.I'm using 50yd targets at 100yds with orange stickers stuck on cause I bought a huge stack at a gun show.I do have some true 100 yd targets here somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.