Opinions on 357sig, 45gap, and other things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Apr 16, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ok, I'm well aware of how you guys feel about Glock, but I have a serious question or two....or three...

I saw a Glock 32c which is the midsized 357sig. It really appeals to me....but I have always held the opinion that if one was to own a 357...why not make it a revolver? A revolver can handle the full power and full size 357 bullet...
    I'm thinking something like a 357 with a 4" or 5" barrel...I don't like longer barrel revolvers. It sounds whimpy, but I can't keep it steady if its too barrel heavy.....

Opinions on the 357mag vs 357 sig "and" revolver vs auto would be appreciated....

Next question....

Glocks new 45gap round. A shortened 45 auto.... case length 0.775 of an inch...185 and 200 grain bullets at 950 and 1020 Fps.......
    Seriously with the Glock issue aside, I would like to hear opinions on this round. It seems to me that this might be a really high pressure round since the case is shortened so much?
    And would shortening the 45acp screw up feeding relaibility?

Let me put it this way for the 1911 fans....If they came up with a really small 1911 that took this shortened 45 round, do you think it'd have any chance of being a viable round?

I keep thinking about how on a 22 rifle the full size 22lr rounds function good, but the "shorts" don't......thats my gut reaction on the shortened 45gap round.....?

Also, does anyone have any 357sig rounds?...and....could you post a pic with a 9mm, a 357sig, and a 45acp....in the pic?
    If someone could, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

GN

PS.....would either the 357sig or 45gap present reloading problems when I get into reloading?
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Mike:
    Several distinctions should be made.

1. There are those of us who like Glocks and own a model 17.
    2. You are making it too complex. The solution is to own all of them above and be happy:) It must be remembered , that more guns are better than fewer guns. This is a universal constant.;)
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

4. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I want a .357 sig, in a revolver. I think it would have an easy kick and a vicious bullet. But I have shot a .45gap. I LOVED IT. One of the guys at the range loaded me up a full mag of one. WAY less recoil, and I shoot a heavy 1911. For some reason, it felt like a smoother recoil, not so kick like, but more of a push. It was a glock, so I couldn't shoot it nearly as well as my own. ( first time shooting it too, so....) Nonetheless, I can say I like the .45gap cartridge. If you are considering one, GET IT!!! I am a huge .45 fan, I like the LARGE bullet theory. ( I know, E=MV2, but I will still take mass over velocity in a close range take down anyday ) SO.....
    I like .357mag over .357sig,
    LOVE the .45gap,
    No pics though

--Beagle
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

rglbegl....

How did the Glock 37 look size wize? Did they get it sized down significantly from the G21 full size 45?

How does it compare size wize to a full size 1911 or a Sigp220?

SoMo....

Thanks, thats a good comparison page.

That 357sig is a funny lookin round.......
    I've noticed on the Glocks 31c & 32c that the barrels are alot thicker....must be a potent round.....
    I still can't get over the feeling that a 357 revolver might be a more "versatile" choice in that caliber.....
    However, when the AWB sunsets and 16 to 18 round mags become available for it....the tables would be turned on that a bit favoring the Glock possably....

GN
  6. Greg

Greg New Member

Hey Glocknut,

I used to have a Glock 32 with night sights and a .22 conversion kit for it. It had a 4" barrel, and was a great carry gun. I traded it in for a new 1911 because I just shoot better with it than I did the Glock, and started to do more target shooting. The extra inch in barrel length also gives me a better sight length. The Glock is a good gun, I just was more comfortable with the 1911. It just feels more natural to me, and I prefer the grip width of a single stack. Believe it or not, the Glock 32 had more felt recoil and muzzle flip than the 1911 in a .45ACP. Part of it was the load, and part of it was the weight of the gun. It was louder as well. There is about a pound difference in the Glock 32 and a full sized 1911. However, the weight is distributed differently, with more weight being on the barrel end of the 1911.

The .357 SIG is a .40 cartridge that is bottlenecked. The .40 cartidge is the little sister of the 10mm. The .357 SIG is basically a 9mm on steroids! If anything, the bottleneck design improves feeding and ejection reliability. Law enforcment tried to go to this round, but it never caught on like the .40 did. Many people didn't like the way the round loaded into a magazine by hand because it was bottlenecked. The bottleneck design builds up more pressure. I had loads that were 1600 fps!

The 32C is compensated to reduce the muzzle flip. However, if you plan on using it for personal defense, I wouldn't go with the 32C due to firing in the dark will give you momentary night blindness. I saw your posts on your opinion of the .40 load. However, if you want to, you can get a standard barrel in .357 SIG or .40 and use the same gun and mag, and use this for personal defense, and the 32C barrel for target if you want. There are usually used barrels for sale for $50.00-100.00.

Due to the .357SIG not being popular, you can usually find a used one in very good shape for $300.00-350.00. Dealers do not like to carry the gun, as they do not move as well, or resale as well as other handguns. However, it is a fine weapon, and a fine load. Remember, the .357 SIG is not a cheap round of ammo to buy factory.

Reloading should not be a problem, but you should not use lead bullets with the Glock barrel hex twist that is used. Going revolver or SA pistol is totally a personal choice, though you get more rounds with the SA (more than double if the ban lifts). A .357 mag revolver is nice because you can shoot cheaper 38 with it as well. I have a .357 mag Taurus Tracker 627 revolver that I use as a camp gun that I love. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  7. Nole

Nole New Member

This is what the girlfriend and mom does not understand. Only if they understood...
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

From an historical perspective, over the last 50+ years, I've seen 'em come, and I've seen 'em go.....mostly go.

Factory wildcats, various "flavors of the month", "cartridge of the year", solutions for which there is no problem, and cures for which there is no disease.

Before buying a gun chambered for a New Wonder Whizzbang Cartridge, ask yourself.....is there really a need for this cartridge? Does it fill a gap in cartridge selection, or merely fill a niche?

Anybody remember .256 Magnum, 9mm Federal, 9x23 Winchester, .357 Maximum, .41 Magnum, .41 AE, .44 Auto Mag?
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, I have to agree, for the most part, with Xracer. I am a devoted .41 Mag fan and love the cartridge. I have two Rugers ( Blkhwk/Redhwk) and a Smith 57 for them.