Opinions on 40 cal?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jjmitchell60, May 20, 2004.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I have never owned a 40 cal pistol for my own collection but have shot a couple of off brands. Really was not inpressed with them but one of our distributors has S&W 4006 trade ins fro sale for less than $270. They have adjustable night sights and are in really great condition. I thought about getting one so give me any feed back on these as to the price and how well they hold up please. I might pick up 3 or 4 so as to sell a couple at the shop if that is a good price.

Any view points on these as well as the caliber itself?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Don’t know about the gun, but as far as the caliber goes. I thought it was a decent “compromise” between the 9 and the 45. Wife wanted to move up from .380 or 9mm, but did not want to hold only 6 rounds (or so) like a 45 would, in a relatively small gun. “Compromised” and got the P-99 Walther in 40. (only gun she was REALLY comfortable with) She is very happy with it so far.
    It throws the lead downrange pretty good.
  3. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

I've never owned a Smith 4006, so I can't speak about that gun, although I believe it has a decocker, which I've never cared for those (just a bad visual for me). I fully agree with pickenup on don't comprimise because the price is good. For me happiness is a Browning Hi-Power in .40, probably a larger framed gun than your wife would want to carry all the time, but there's something just perfect about the combo for me anyway.

Dave
  4. Woodman

Woodman New Member

A 1911 Commander-size in 40 S&W has enough "meat" in it to make recoil -0- (almost);)

A real pleasure to shoot, especially after learning the basics on a .22.
  5. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Thanks for the opinions. I personally am a 45 person but being a 40 cal is one of the few calibers that I do not own anything in, I probably will pick at least one up. Heading up to the distributor next Tues. to look at them and get one. Got a list of other stuff we need for the shop as well.
  6. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

That's not a bad price (probably bordering on a dang good price) on that JJ. Depending on the condition, you should be able to buy it and shoot it some, and still make some money on it.

I like the 10mm much more than the .40 as it is more powerful, but the .40 isn't bad. I'm sure you've seen the picture of the cartridges side-by-side, but I'll put it at the bottom just in case (for visual comparison).

The S&W xx06 models are kinda neat I think. They are a DA/SA trigger and has a decocker. The decocker/safety lever, located where a safety normally is, serves two purposes; when you flip the safety on, the gun quickly decocks and also goes into a safe position where the trigger can be pulled but the hammer won't draw rearward.

I like the feel of that whole series in the hand. It doesn't feel quite as good in the hand as a 1911, but still feels good. I think it's the single-stack mag. For me, these aren't my defense guns, but they are neat and fun to play with.

I bought a 1006 on an auction site and picked it up today. It works the same way but is in my favorite cartridge, the 10mm.

[​IMG]
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

.40 S&W

What, exactly, will a .40 S&W do, that a .45ACP won't, at HALF the chamber pressure?
    The .45 acp is a martial caliber, and earned the place it holds out of accuracy, reliability, and terminal effects.
    The 9mm is the darling of the european community, and isn't a bad round, but the real strength to iit is the way it fits into double stack designs, with a not-too- large grip dimension.
    The .40 S&W is the product of the inability of our FBI to teach Pistol Marksmanship with the 10mm- also, it was assisted in development by sub-standard worksmanship in some early pistols, delivered to the same agency, which rapidly shot them to pieces.
    The REAL .40, the 10mm, has decided ballistic advantages, and power to spare; the .40 Smith is a weak sister by comparison, at way too much pressure for the results it delivers.
  8. Rugster

Rugster New Member

As a Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor IMHO the .40S&W is second to the .357sig 125GrHP only for Handgun Self Defense.In a FBI study for the best one shot to the torso man stopper the .40 S&W 155 GRHP bullet is number one.And the .357sig no longer than its been avaliable to LEO's ranks 8th.HTH

Best!!
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

And just where did the 45ACP finish in this horse race? inquiring minds want to know!! Seems to me the FBI wanted the 10mm. but could not take the recoil and cut it down to the 40S&W so that the boys could tame it. Give me a 45ACP in 230gr and you are not going far after I hit you! Yes, I will hit you!
  10. Rugster

Rugster New Member

According to this study the .45acp came in 3rd with a 230gr Hydra shok bullet with a 96% one shot to the torso stop rate.

It is also number 4 with a Remington Golden Saber 185GR+P Bullet with a 95% stop rate.

The .357sig is expected to rapidly climb the chart as more LEO Agencys adopt the cartridge.

HTH!!
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

See other post on Center Fire page with te whole list. Interesting data.

Stash- I also heard that the 10mm was a bit overpenetrative for the FBI - in addition to the recoil issues. I'm a 10mm fan myself after shooting one through both side of a dumpster - pretty cool!!
  12. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

I have a Taurus PT101 in .40 cal., and I kind'a like it... ;)
  13. Woodman

Woodman New Member

The Ca highway Patrol had 4006s for years. There is a whole load of used ones on the market in CA now, dumped by the Alaska Highway Patrol, so I heard from a former Patrolman who was selling them in his shop, at $400 each (and he said he had plenty of them).

This might be redundant. I feel like I typed the same thing in another thread. GB maybe?
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Plano, and Smash: ATTABOY!!! The .40 S&W came about not over penetration, but recoil, issues, as the FEDS couldn't teach the troops to manage the recoil, and shoot well, and their pistols kept coming apart. So much for low bid purchasing, both equiptment, and personnel.
    If JMB was such a dolt, why was the .45 acp the issue item for over 80 years?
    And, for the record, how many records does the .40 Smith own, at Camp Perry?
    'Nuff said.
    Hope this helps, Terry
  15. Raven18940

Raven18940 New Member

I think 40 Small & Weak is a poor substitue for 10mm. Cause that's all the 40 is, 10mm short. 5mm less case and gun powder. Realisticly anything that goes bang will do as long as you know how to aim. All the 45 guys say 9mm is wimpy, but it can ruin your day right quick. 45 can just do it a bit quicker, and 10mm quicker still. 40 is somewhere between 9 and 45, closer to 45. So if you don't want that raw power of 45, or just want something a little less harsh for fun at the range then it's fine.

I'm a firm believer of it's not what you shoot, but how you shoot it. Just remember, people have been killed by stones.