1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Opinions on .45 ccw

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by eagle45, Jul 14, 2005.

1. eagle45

eagle45 New Member

I'm interested in picking up a concealed carry firearm in .45.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Glock 30/36 models? I tried the Glock 36 at a local range, and liked the way it fit my hand. I intend to try the Glock 30 model soon, as it carries 10 in the magazine (as opposed to 6). It's only 0.14 inches wider than the G36, as well.

What other .45 models would you consider in the $400-$600 range?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Springfield and Kimber if your looking for a 45 ACP. Stick with Glock if you want the 45 GAP. Tupperware is as tupperware does. Dishwasher safe too! :D :D :D
  3. eagle45

eagle45 New Member

What is the reasoning behind your answer?

Also, what specific models would you recommend for a Springfield or Kimber concealed carry?

Thank you for the information.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Plastic is plastic (i.e. GLOCK). Steel is steel (i.e. Springfield, Kimber). It is a matter of preference. Those of us that have been in the Service mostly prefer steel 1911's. The newer generation seems to prefer plastic. The Colt JMB design has been around for 94 years and is still going strong. The new comers are gaining ground. It is a matter of preference these days, but there is just something about gripping steel instead of plastic.

Go down to the 1911 forum and read away!
  5. nvbirdman

nvbirdman New Member

You might take a look at a S&W cs45.
    It is 6+1, DA on first shot, and SA on the rest.
    Big Shrek likes this.
  6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I'm inclined to agree with IPT.

Even if I wanted a .45 GAP, however, I'd probably go with the Springfield 1911 in .45 GAP. Nice little handful of firepower!

Nothing against the Glock, but for *me* the 1911 feels best. Natural point of aim, manageable recoil and plenty of aftermarket possibilities to customize.

One of the main things I *don't* like about the Glock is the fact that there is only so much you can do to customize it. You can't change out the grip panels, like on a 1911, you can't checker the grip, etc. It will just about always look the same: A black plastic slab. Maybe with a laser sight that I'm training myself to *not* need, as I feel it's more of a crutch than anything else. (As in, what do you do when you're out of batteries and you've become dependent on the laser?)

Finally, when I started looking for my first semi-auto, I took a look at several options, including the Glock. Glock has been slowly but surely pricing itself higher and higher, while there are some GREAT deals out there on 1911 based guns.

And, like IPT said, John Moses Browning just plain knew what he was doing. After all, he designed the Winchester 94, the Browning .50 caliber machine gun ("Ma Deuce" as she's affectionately known) the 1911, the Auto-5 shotgun, the Browning Automatic Rifle, just to name a few. Owning a Glock, to me, just doesn't have the same connection as owning something designed by JMB. The only reason the 1911 was excluded from the military's procurement of a .45 caliber pistol for SOCOM and now for main sidearm is because there's too many paper-pushers who are afraid a single-action semi-auto will be too "dangerous" in the hands of our troops. These are the philosophical descendants of the folks that made our troops carry the 1911 with an empty chamber.
  7. eagle45

eagle45 New Member

You mentioned one of the disadvantages of the glock is lack of upgrades.

If you were purchasing a 1911 style .45 for concealed carry, what upgrades would you deem necessary or desirable? Please consider that I'm looking at a budged of around $400-$600.
  8. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Eagle - I'm not a glock fan, but only because of fit. If you have not shot or handled a 1911, I'd suggest that you do. The grip to frame angle on a 1911 is different than a glock and ergonomically, one typically fits better than the other. All other rehtoric aside, that's the most important part of handgun suitability to me - it must fit my hand. If the glock fits you better, it will do just fine.

Having stated the logical comments, I have to toss in the taste comment - yuck, plastic. :D

Now, to answer your other questions on makes and models. I'm a Kimber fan myself. I own four guns made by them. My primary carry gun is a 1911 Eclipse Ultra. In your price range, look for the plain Ultra. All the Eclipse package is is "pretty," not funtional changes. In my opinion, the Kimber guns do not need customization for carry purposes - they are ready to go. Having said that, if you like to mess around with guns, try different grips, safty styles, etc, the 1911 design is more suited to that.
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

My primary CCW for the last 40 years has been a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45ACP.....polished feedramp, MMC combat adjustable sights, long tang grip safety, Pachmayr flat mainspring housing and wraparound grips, trigger job.

Light enough to be a comfortable carry, heavy enough to avoid punishing recoil. Reliable and accurate......and I'll probably still be wearing it when they shovel me six feet under.

That having been said, if I were ever to consider a new CCW, I'd probably buy a Kimber Pro Carry II in .45ACP. It comes standard with all the stuff that I've custom done to my Colt.

It'll probably cost $100 more than your top figure.....but then, what's your life worth?
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Well, that's one of the neat things bout purchasing a 1911 for CCW.

With a limited budget, I'd probably go out and purchase a basic 1911, such as one of the Springfields or one of the Kimbers. No frills, no fancy upgrades, just a stock 1911.

I'd carry it and get used to it. Later on, I might add some new grip panels, maybe something thinner, as I have small hands. I'd also probably add some night sights. (My Kimber doesn't even have white dots on the sights, so night shooting is an interesting idea.) I'd also look into checkering the front strap, if not already done. If I felt it would improve groups (this is a situation you have to do plenty of testing, etc to determine if you need to) I'd replace the mainspring housing with one either flat or curved, depending upon what was needed to improve point of impact.

Also, after carrying it for awhile, I might make some other mods, such as replacing the grip safety, if I felt it would be an improvement.

Honestly, though, I have to admit that my Kimber is just about perfect straight out of the box! I'll eventually replace the sights with night sights and the grip panels to thin up the grip a bit, but otherwise it shoots like a dream! LIke Xracer says of his Colt LW Cmdr., it's light enough to be a comfortable carry and heavy enough to keep from beating my hand up when I shoot it.

And Katydid (my 11yo daughter) and I love the .22LR slide on the gun for plinking!
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I carry either a full sized Springfield 1911 .45 or the Browning Hi-Power Practical in 9mm. Have never had any problem with either, in spite of being full size.
  12. offeror

offeror New Member

I carry every day and I find that anything can seem to work at first, but after a while a gun that is either too big, too wide or too heavy begins to be tiresome or chafing. I like my S&W 1076, for example, and it's slimmer than my Glock, but it does drag down the belt more than the Glock, so it gets left behind in favor of the lighter gun. I could carry my old alloy-frame Star PD with confidence, but it's a 6-rounder, and metal.

Right now I do happen to carry a Glock 30 and it works for me. It's not the slimmest design you can get of course, so if you wanted to buy a single stack I'd say that would be even more comfortable against your side all day, lighter, and easier to conceal. You save more than just the .14", by the way. A single stack's lighter weight also allows it to lay flat against the body a little better in a good holster, improving concealment even more (I still like leather).

Polymer is just more comfortable than any metal, and polymer won't rust. I oil my guns reasonably often, and still I can wind up with moisture trouble with other guns. So I prefer to keep my metal guns for things like car, bedside and such. Stainless is heavier than I like, so it doesn't help me. I do have a blued PPK/S as a pocket pistol currently, but I'm going to buy a Kel-Tec for the pocket -- also because of the polymer frame and other advantages for carry. Not only that, Kel-Tecs and Glocks are designed with no pointy things on them -- no levers with sharp edges, no beavertails, etc. You can't say that about many of the other choices.

My choices have little to do with my 'personal favorite gun' and a lot to do with just choosing a practical gun for concealment. Having tried several guns in the role, these are what I've settled on for now, while rejecting the rest. Lightweight, compact, quick into action in an emergency, and as near rustproof as I can get. And just comfortable enough that I'm not tempted to take the gun off for a break, or leave it behind somewhere.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  13. Jay

Jay New Member

You're gonna have fun choosing......

I've carried a .45 for over 15 years. I finally sold a couple of good .45's and bought a Kimber Pro CDP. I looked at it like buying a new vehicle. It's cheaper in the long run to buy all the "bells and whistles" up front, rather than add them on a bit at a time. (just my opinion) I have over 3000 rounds through this pistol, and had absolutely no problems. I love the thing, but most importantly, it fits my hand. If it don't fit, you're never gonna like it.

Regards, Jay
  14. eagle45

eagle45 New Member

I appreciate everyone who shared their opinion on this subject. If more wish to chime in, I'm all ears.

I was at a local range this weekend and had a chance to fire a Glock 30, and I thought it was okay. Nothing seemed spectacular about it, but it felt and fired solid enough.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any Kimbers or Springfield .45 to rent. None of the three ranges I've been to have, save for full size 1911-A1 type firearms. I got a chance to hold some of the carry-sized Kimber and Springfield firearms they had on display. I must say I liked they way they felt in my hand - I just wish I had the opportunity to comment on how they shot.

What are the positive and negative attributes of getting a stainless steel model? I assume improved corrosion resistance is a positive, but are there any negatives?

Also, does anyone have a website with more information about specific Kimber models and the factory "upgrades" they come with? The actual Kimber website was surprisingly sparse on information.
  15. eagle45

eagle45 New Member

I've read that it is not advisable to fire reloaded ammunition through a Glock. Since I intend to become proficient with my carry weapon, the ability to fire reloads might be a selling point for me. How much cost savings on average is associated with reloading .45?