opinions on CZ's and kel-tecs

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by focusmaniaczx3, Feb 15, 2010.

1. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

well i might have a CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov lined up for $180. its in extremely good shape. however i dont know a thing about these guns and im curious about what you guys think about them. im going learn what i can before i buy unlike i did a few weeks ago when i picked up a davis industries p32. im planning on getting this for CCW when i im wearing light clothing instead of my judge which is a little to bulky for light clothing.

im also thinking about tracking down a kel-tec p32 to replace my .38 snub as an ankle gun. would it be good for this use? how reliable is the kel-tec and does anyone carry it on their ankle? ill probably plink with it alot. i like .32 calibers for some reason, im not sure why so i just picked out what looked like the best automatic .32 out there that is good and compact. but i still would like to hear some opinions on it.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

There are a lot of people that carry a 82 for CCW. I have a 83 which is the same gun but in a .380. The marakov round is pretty accurate and has some punch to it. When combined with a 82 recoil action where the barrel is part of the frame, its a good, accurate reliable gun. CZ's are built like tanks but also somewhat complicated so field stripping is about as far as you want to go with them. If you totally tear one down you need a 3rd hand.
    Don't be fooled though, it may be a smaller gun but they are heavy.
  3. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

how complicated would you call the tear down on the CZ on a scale from 1-10? i learned how to field strip my davis p32 with my bare hands in under a minute and put it back together with no problems. i can remove slide, firing pin, and springs (thats really all there is to it) and put it back together 3-4 times in a minute. i would rate it as a 1. my hi-point .40 takes me about 5 minutes and requires tools and concentration as there are lots of tiny pieces. i would rate it at about 7 but i dont have experience with any guns that im SURE are much MUCH more complicated. the hi-point is probably the most complicated gun ive ever taken apart and put back together. i would rate a SKS at about 3.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I would say, field strip a 2. Really easy. complete teardown a 8. There are many small parts and things you can't see to line up properly. The sear spring-ejector combo you need a 3rd hand on. I have my own and have worked with others, I still have issues getting it right the first time. The sear spring is really small and only goes in properly 1 way but can be flipped around. You also have to re assemble them in specific order, no way around. The trigger and transfer bar are tough also b/c the way you have to manipulate it back into the frame. Its not a gun to tear down just because your board. If you loose a part, your sol.
    Remember what you have done in the past is striker fired, hammer fire is a completely different animal and its DA to boot.
  5. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

sorry but im not incredibly up on internet speak what do you mean by DA? deadly accurate maybe? i dont know
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

DA-Double Action
    SA-Single Action
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

The little Kel-tecs are very reliable (once broken in). Limp-wrist hold will make them unreliable, but that's true of nearly any semi-auto.

I carry the .380 (same design, almost same size as the .32), but I've never carried it on my ankle. In a decent pocket holster, it disappears in a front pants pocket.
  8. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

do the .32 and .380 both have the same mag capacity?
  9. whitetailhunter

whitetailhunter New Member

.32 is 7+1 and the .380 is 6+1
  10. dogngun

dogngun New Member

I had a KelTec .32 and I found it was very reliable with ball ammo, and more accurate thatn you would believe. You can hide it in a tee shirt pocket. They also sell a belt clip for it - you can slide it inside your waist or behind your belt, no holster needed. Very handy back up guns.

mark