Opinions on FN P45

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RodinKy, Dec 10, 2011.

1. RodinKy

RodinKy New Member

I'm wanting to get a .45, don't know why but just want one and found a FN P-45 at a local shop. Does anyone here have any experience with one of these. I've read several reviews and they are rated well. All opinions are welcomed from the informed folks on this board.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My brother just bought one, and he is not happy! The gun jams about every other round, and I can not get him to take it to a gun smith. It is a good gun, but like most pistols out there it needs a little TLC. There is some creep in the trigger, and like the jamming problem, it is also fixable. Back when I bought my first .45, it was expected that you would take it to a smith, and have it "smoothed" out. If I have to bet my life on a pistol, I want the .45, and I want it to work right every time. Since I am not a pistol smith, I take my guns to someone who is! Personally, I would not hesitate to purchase one.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I thought they were pretty good pistols.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

They are darn good guns. If it jambs like posted above it needs to go to the browning service center in missouri. They handle all the FN handguns there. The ones on our range program have been flawless. Recoil on them is mild bc of the recoil system they have.
  5. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I have one and it has never jammed, also it is quite accurate at 30-50 yrds. I like the fact that I can have 15 rounds of .45 as well. I would recommend the gun.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I recommend the gun also. Any gun can have a problem, or two, and these are easily fixed.
  7. RodinKy

RodinKy New Member

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice. I purchased the gun today for $539. It came with 3 magazines, a hard case and changable backstraps. It's really heavy loaded with the 14 rounds of .45. It was raining so I only got to shoot one mag full but the last five rounds went into the bullseye at 7 yards. Now to get some dies and start reloading for it. Recoil was less than my Glock 27 in .40.
  8. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Yeah I was surpriised by how little recoil there was on that gun, it is on the heavy side when fully loaded but I will take that to get 14-15 rounds of .45