opinions on Kahr PM40 or P40

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rocklinskier, Jun 13, 2010.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Any body own one of these? Thinking about a 40 cal conceal option. With summer coming on, trying to conceal with light t-shirts and the like.

I like that they are so thin and light but wonder about managing recoil, reliability, etc.

any feedback good or bad appreciated.
  2. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I have a Kahr 9. It is a great gun and amazingly accurate for such a small piece.
    The recoil is really managable for such a light gun.
    Kahrs are known for their reliability and concealability. (is concealability even a word?)
    Mine has been flawless, no matter what I feed it.

I may be getting a new one soon, because my GF has pretty much taken it over. She loves it, so I rarely get to shoot it anymore.
  3. group17

group17 New Member

If money is an issue the CW40 ( 3.6" barrel) version is a little larger but can be found for $400NIB around me. The smaller PM40 (3"barrel) goes for a lot more. Because they are both single stack they work great for CC.
    My brother just found a slightly used CW40 for $299. I read the DAO is very smooth. Would make a great CC choice.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I have a CW40 and the size is great, it takes a little while to get used to the long trigger pull, but it is very smooth!! With it's light weight it does have a hefty muzzle flip, and can be hard on the hand if you want to shoot large amounts of ammo. The fit for my very small hands was the best. Overall it is great for CCW.
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I have a PM40 and love it. It doesn't feed well with flatter nosed ammo (155 Gr. Speer Gold Dot) but doesn't hiccup a bit with ammo such as the Hornady TAP in 180 Gr. It's tiny but is priced for that niche market they hold. I had one problem when I got it that I resolved. The spring that presses the slide stop up was bent and wouldn't cause the slide to stay open on the last shot. Consequently, the magazine wouldn't eject easily either. I expect much more from a $650 gun but since I bent the spring back in place it has worked flawlessly.

I'll also add that you won't find it comfortable to shoot for extended periods since it has VERY sharp recoil. It's a good thing this little gun isn't designed to be a plinker but rather to be there when you need it most! :D