opinions on Rem 700 .308 sps varmint?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Country101, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Got a guy that has one to sell for $500. I really want a Rem 700 in .308, but I dont like the stocks on the sps models. That overmolded crap turns me off. I'm trying to get him to free float the barrel for me if I buy it. He says he will have to do it if he keeps it. I may go shoot it sometime and see what I think.

Anybody have this model?

Any recommendations for a scope? I want a 50mm objective and at minimum 3-9 power. I have a leuopold rifleman for my 30-30 I could put on it in the meantime, but I want something a little better without breaking the bank. I'm thinking about $3-400 range. If I could afford it I would get something with target turrets. Not sure about the reticle. Maybe mil dot, but I wont be ranging much and there may be better ones for guessing holdover.
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

After some initial research, I see my price range isnt going to get me a 50mm objective scope......
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

40 mil objective will do just fine. I recommend a Nikon Buckmaster with BDC. you can get them with or without target turrets.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Looks like I missed that 50mm buckmaster. It's got the magnification I want too. Wish it had something other than the nikoplex reticle.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They come with BDC reticle too. But youll prolly hafta go with 40 mil objective. i have 3 of them. two 4.5-14X40SF with BDC and one 6-18X40SF with target turrets and nikoplex reticle. I love the nikon scopes.
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

How much did you pay for the second and where did you get it? I didnt see any with target turrets on cabelas.

I was just thinking the 50mm would give me more light. With my eyes, that makes a differance, but I dont guess I am stuck on it.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

free floating the barrel will not improve accuracy on the cheap chinese crap stocks of the SPS line. I found that for me it made it worse when I free floated the barrel. All you need to do to do it is take a dremal to front of the stock where the barrel pressure pads are. I wouldn't do it.
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Ok, I was wondering about that. I saw some comments where people had said that the stocks didnt have enough strength to free float them. I just hate to spend another 250 or so on a stock and then 500 on a scope.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

That's why you don't buy the SPS you buy the vssf, vsf, vls 700.
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

What kind of groups were you getting before you free floated it?
  11. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I agree. Plus you get a finished action instead of that damned bead blasted pseudo-parkerized crap that Remington does to the SPS. The action feels like it has sand in it etc. Save the dough and step up to a true 700. As to scopes; a Leupold VXII 3-9 X 40 is right around $300. It's bright enough to see WAY past shooting light and is the best value out there IMO. The windage and elevation are accurate and repeatable so you even save money on expensive sight in with hunting ammo. I love a scope that moves 3" right with 12 clicks and no change in elevation, or vice-versa.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Actually I picked it up at a pawnshop NIB for 240 bucks, Yeah I stole it.. But Midway lists them here.

This is the EXACT scope I use on my 6.5-284
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...-6-18x-40mm-side-focus-nikoplex-reticle-matte

Here is the same scope featuring a mil dot reticle ITS ON SALE! :thumbsup:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...e-6-18x-40mm-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Same scope with BDC Out of stock :(
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...scope-6-18x-40mm-side-focus-bdc-reticle-matte

Same scope with DOT reticle It too is out of stock :(
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/88...fine-crosshair-with-1-4-moa-dot-reticle-matte

Trust me the 40 mil Nikons gather plenty of light. I think they actually gather more light than a 56 mil Millett.