opinions on springfield xd???

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by sluggermn, Jun 10, 2008.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

I am looking at getting a new pistol and I am thinking/ leaning towards the springfield xd in 45, either the compact or sub-compact. this would be my main carry weapon and I am looking for something lighter than my full sized 1911.
    I want to stay with the 45acp to keep quantity's of ammo to a minimum.

what is (all)yall's opinion of this weapon??

my main problem with the 1911 is weight and how to carry it comfortabily. I have a disease that prevents me from carrying on the strong side or sob comfortably, its called the furniture disease.......... you know when your chest falls into your drawers........
    being a rather portly fellow makes it a pain to carry but I refuse to leave my self and my family unprotected.

question #2
    have any of you had any experience with the holster that you carry in front by your "package" http://www.smartcarry.com/
    what are your experiences with this holster and how often do you use it?
    also what is your body shape, specifically I am looking to see if any one with a big gut uses this holster and how it works for them.... thanks

slugger
  2. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I'm six ft tall and 320lbs, so I'm not slim by any means. I find that the pancake works the best for me. I had a hard time with them at first, then I purchased a nice wide belt and it made a huge difference.
  3. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

I have tried the pancake holsters and they do not work for me at all.
    I am 5'7" and 250 lb. the pancake holsters tend to weeble woble front to back on me and if I bend over or move around the butt end of the pistol leans way out and feels like it is going to fall out or flip over on me.

slugger
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I plan on using my paddle holster once jacket weather comes around. Mine is the kind that is a fixed position.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Sluggermn, I haven't shot or handled the xd. I do have several friends who are firearm training officers, who have more than 2 xd's for themselves. You can take that for what its worth. :) :D
    I've heard nothing bad about the xd pistols. And this goes for all calibers.

Art
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  6. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I've only fired an XD once, but when i did, i was thoroughly impressed the one time I did, As far as holsters, I'm a big fan of IWB but you have previously ruled this out. my best idea for you on this one is you may have to try a couple different options out and find what works best for you.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The paddle holster should work very well but, as with all holsters, it needs a sturdy platform. If you don't wear a good gunbelt, you will have trouble with any holster you try.
  8. jfd347

jfd347 New Member

I have an XD in 9mm, the 4" model. I completely love it. I'm a new shooter so I haven't fired too many different guns but the XD is my fav so far. I am a shorty that's overweight and I have some difficulty concealing it but it's not too hard. It's easy to take apart. It had the cocked pin and also the loaded pin so all you have to do feel to know if it's cocked and loaded. If you have any other questions just message me and I'll try to answer.
  9. No truer words were ever spoken, Shooter. I would argue that if one wishes to carry a handgun frequently--as most CCW holders do--then invest not only in a high-quality firearm and holster, but also in a heavy belt designed to carry the weight without sagging. Virtually all of the custom holster makers also offer properly designed gun belts. They aren't cheap (usually about $50.00 and up, depending on how fancy you want it) but they last for many year.
  10. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I had the same problem, until I purchased a good belt...bingo problem solved! I used to rant against my setup, now I love it. It used to wobble, droop it was a bad situation. Please try a nice thick wide belt.
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

12. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

slugger;
    What pistolenschutz said in spades.
    Your platform just like the basics for anything we prepare for and I suspect once you have a good belt, you will suddenly find more options where none were available before.

How about the fanny packs espcially the Galco or as you mentioned, the "thunderwear" that go inside your pants in front of your unit. (not one I would use personally), but I demo these in my CCW classes along with all other types of carry devices).

It is difficult to fit someone unless we are present but from your description of your physic, I am still not convinced that you cannot use one of the good strong side hip or IWB holsters. I help a lot of people every day and some are heavier than you described and some are quite surprised at their choices.

One thing to remember is that one carry device seldom answers the call for all situations. Knowing that, you have to first fit yourself for the device you will use most often and of course this goes for the gun of choice as well.

My personal preference even though I am 65 is still the IWB, strong side for my lightweight commander in 9MM. But it is unreal to try to use one holster for all situations or for one gun for all occasions.

If you have a good store with a big selection, take your pistol with and spend some time trying as many as possible. It will be time well spent. I also believe in the top of the line when I am fitting carry devices such as holsters and there are some much better than others and even at that you can fit yourself without breaking the bank.

Some examples are Galco, Don Hume, Milt Sparks, DeSantis, Kramer. Of course there are many others but these will give an excellent cross section and tremendous selection for leather, kydex or fanny packs etc.

As LD said, these selections will last for many years if not a lifetime so it is important to make good, informed selections to live with and don't go cheap.

Good luck.

UncleFudd
    www.caswells.com
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Am I mistaken or does the XD have three safeties? and if so, why?

I think it was Jeff Cooper who said he diddnt like safeties, something about depending on a mechanical device when safety belongs between the ears.

The thing is the XD seems to have three. The trigger one, which I think was invented by the Glock lawyers, a back strap one, which was thought of before WW1 and the one that makes sense, the frame mounted thumb one.

At least the XD seems to have avoided the fate of many modern handguns, being built the size of small car engines. No offense Beretta, but the 90Two, what were you thinking? Given modern materials cant you chaps slim these things down? Make them slicker? I am a life long Beretta fan, but really.

Apart from the collection of safeties which come free with each XD, they look like an excellent handgun to me. Manufacturers, designers, (and yes, I have been one) please take a long look at some of the classics, start with the 1911 and Hi Power. Get back to basics, I somehow doubt your products will be as used 80 years from now. Unless thats what you have in mind?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  14. jfd347

jfd347 New Member

You are correct. The model I have still only has 2. The palm and trigger. The thumb is new this year I do believe. As to why? I have no idea.
  15. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I have the XD 9mm in 4" service and the XD 40 in sub-compact, and might add I looooove them both. I carry the 40 the most on my person, but shoot the 9mm all the time. The grip is much better for me than my Glock 17 or 22 as I am a big boy at 6'2" and 260 lbs with small hands. I agree without a good belt you will never get it to carry right. I carry mine in the XD holsters and in my carry vest lining. I don't think you can go wrong with the XD in any caliber. Hope this helps in someway and good luck.