Opinions on the 6.8spc

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glocknut, Jun 6, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Several people have told me that the 6.8spc is basicly half way between the 223 and the 308. So i finally looked up the numbers... and thats bull. By the numbers it lookes to be 1/3 of the way up from a 223 towards the 308.

And it looks like there is only a slight advantage in the 6.8 over the 7.62x39?

The ammo for the 6.8 looks to be as expensive as 308s and not as available?

So.... is there any reason to have an AR in the 6.8 caliber?

The only advantage i can see is that it has more punch than the 223 in the same weight rifle. To have a 308 you wind up with a much heavier rifle....

Opinions anyone?

mike
    gn
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Depends on how you're going to use it. If you're actually going to hunt something and need the extra energy, sure it can be useful. If you're mainly going to be plinking or target shooting, .223 / 5.56 fits the bill just fine, is much more available and much cheaper as well. I think that a new intermediate caliber (6, 6.5, 6.8, whatever...) will surpass 5.56 someday in the not too distant future, but that day is not today.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i think that people jump on the latest new gun or caliber without any real reason then proclaim it is best. like the 45 gap, the winchester short mags, the 17 calibers. all are cool, and all have a place, but for me, i would rather have something more traditional. 45acp, 308, 30-06, 223, 9mm, 357mag. why complicate things? and as you mentioned... ammo availability. a hard to find caliber might not be the best thing to have in all of our new obamarigged nation
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The 6.8mm is undoubtedly a better round for combat than the 5.56mm. In my opinion it is a lot better than the 7.62x39 being a more stable round and thus inherently more accurate.

Special ops units have been field testing both the 6.8 and 6.5mm. The specs on the 6.5 are much better. It performs a lot closer to 7.62 Nato and is still super sonic at +1000 yds. For some strange reason it seems the military is leaning toward the 6.8 mm as the replacement for the 5.56 even though in every measure of performance the 6.5mm is the superior round.

If you are thinking of military applications and ammo availability I would hold off on purchasing either. The 5.56/.223 appears to be here to stay for a while and for good reason as it is an effective combat and hunting caliber within the range for which it was intended ie. +/- 400 meters.
  5. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

It's an interesting round. The real reason, I think, why the military is considering it is because being a lower velocity round than the .223 it's easier to muffle the blast. I don't think they want to actually replace the .223 in the "general infantry," but it would serve in a special operations environment a little better. It probably stands a better chance of penetrating bullet resistant targets than the 5.56 does as well. Also, bigger bullets make bigger holes. I'm sure in an urban type setting, our soldiers want the enemy in the house(s) they raided dead, not just wounded. But, I really think that it's a sound issue more than anything else. It's probably easier to make a sub-sonic round that fully functions in a super-sonic caliber gun with a heavier caliber ammo, than with the 5.56. Imagine a gun that is silenced, handles like an M4, and kills like an M1/M14. A tough challenge, but a good goal. I'd still take an M14 or a Garand, though. If I get into a fight the other guy started it and already knows I'm there anyway. I aim to kill, not to keep from disturbing the neighbors.
  6. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I agree, the 6.5 Grendel is the better round on paper. It is very accurate, has a great ballistic coefficient, and has fantastic terminal performance. Competition shooters have been winning with it for some time now. However, the shape / size of the bullet + cartridge make it somewhat difficult to make this round feed reliably in an autoloader. This is why there aren't more rifles chambered in 6.5 right now.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Ah, Ok. that explains it. I wonder if that's the same reason the military rejected the British .280 cal. It has a similar larger case necked down to a smaller dia. round more radically than the typical military round...might be harder to keep from binding up in a magazine.???
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I think the 6.5 just barely fits into the mag without the bullet tips rubbing on the front of the mag...
    Saw a picture once and it looked like a REALLY tight fit.

mike
    gn
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

PS

I've dropped the idea of the 6.8spc. It just doesn't make any sense...

mike
    gn
  10. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

+1