Opinions on the best Rifle Scopes

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by coreyacp, Oct 14, 2011.

1. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I am getting a Ruger Scout rifle. I want a fairly decent scope for it. Im thinking about being able to reach out comfortably to around 500 yards.
    My inclination is towards Leopold but thats because of my bias generated by the military. My m14EBR that I use in my squad has a Leupold Mk 4. Which obviously is amazing but it is so expensive! What is a civilian counterpart that is decent, affordable, and durable? Any thoughts?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Leupold has reintroduced the redfield line. I think a redfield revolution the same power as your Leupy on your service rifle with accu-range reticle will reach out and touch somebody at 500 easy enough. Heck with the accu-range reticl itll reach out to 300 without even touching the turret..
  3. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I agree with JLA, however, I shoot several BSA's and like them. I know some members don't care much for them but my experience and Zanes have been pretty good. Keeps your cost down to $150-$200 for a variable. I'm 3/4 blind and poor so I usually purchase 6X-24X 40mm and so far so good. If I could afford them I would purchase Zeiss or Leupold VXIII.
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

CDNN has some good buys also they are BEC and some others but worth a look.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm a Nikon Monarch kinda guy. They have clear optics, transfer light well, stay dialed in and don't have the price tag of the Leupold. JMO.
  6. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

Mueller has a decent scope (8-32x44 Target Dot) for around $250. I recently put one on a CZ 452, and am well pleased with it.
  7. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Look at the Millett line of scopes...Im impressed with the two that I own and the price was about half that of a MkIV..
  8. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I have a millet red dot that Is AWESOME and I didnt even think about them.
  9. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

I've been looking at scopes for the last month (replacing my Redfield Revolution 4-12x on my .223). I've been looking at the Sightron siii 6-24 and the Vortex PST 6-24. Both are beautiful scopes with great optics and very nice reticles. They both go for around $750 and both worth taking a look at.
  10. HnRhandifanatic

HnRhandifanatic New Member

+1 for the Redfield
  11. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I like that price range
  12. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

In that price range, I don't feel you could do better than the Vortex PST or Sightron siii. I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of them.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

dont buy a dadgum ziess.. They are waaaaay overpriced IMO. Example.. My FIL bought a rem 700 XCR tactical .223 and put a $1000 dollar Ziess Conquest 4.5-14X40mm on top. Around the same time I was building my Savage/CBI .308 and I put a Nikon 4.5-14X40mm w/ BDC reticle. For all intents and purposes the 2 scopes are Identical in different wrappers.

My Nikon has twice as clear optics and a better reticle, the side focus is graduated in yardage hashes instead of un-labeled lines like the ziess, and the Nikon has about 1.5 inches more tube to play with for mounting. His Zeiss cost him just shy of a grand at cabelas, My nikon cost me 309 bucks at academy.

Now if i were gonna spend big money on a scope (like 1500+) I still wouldnt go with a Ziess. once you get up into that kinda range in price they are competing with nightforce and countersniper and other purpose built optics.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The Millett TRS-1 and 2 are excellent tactical scopes. My favorite millett is the Buck Gold fine hair 30mm tube. Excellent target scope for the modest 350 bucks.
  15. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

I just absolutely love the Bushnell DOA scopes. The aiming points are really helpful when hunting. I would take a look at them if you are going to be hunting.
  16. Pagrizz

Pagrizz Member

I have owned Leupold and Nikons for years ,but I bought my first Burris a few months back.I held several types of scopes up and the Burris had the best optics of the bunch.So far it has held up to a couple of hunts I went on.The price was not bad either.
  17. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Burris is another good one. I like the fullfield2 series. and the Ballistic-plex reticle is great for hitting your mark out to 500 yds without having to adjust the turrets.
  19. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

I went out and bought the Sightron Sii Big Sky 6-24x 42mm and installed it on my .223. Then took the Redfield Revolution 4-12 and installed it on my 10/22.

The optics in the Sightron puts the optics in the Redfield to shame. Seems like it is going to be a very good scope.

The Sightron has the Dot reticle, should work excellent for target practice and varmints.

Attached Files:

20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like that fine reticle.