Opinions on the Glock 19?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Feb 3, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I am thinking about building up my collection. Going after a Glock 19. What do you guys think about Glock 19s? Only problem is, I don't know if I want a 9mm. Would rather have another gun made for .45ACP. An HK USP Compact wouldn't be bad, but they cost a little more than the Glock does.
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have one, but want to sell it. I much prefer my Beretta FS and really am partial to my 1911 .45's.

Just couldn't shoot well with the Glock
  3. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

The Glock 19s are fine pistols though some people complain about the grip angle. Personally it doesn't bother me. If you really want a .45 ACP though have you considered a Glock 21 or XD .45 ACP Service model?
  4. roaddog28

roaddog28 New Member

My advice would be to go try rent one at the range and see how you like shooting the Glock. The grip angle is strange and I don't care for it. You might try a S&W Sigma 9VE. I feel it has a better grip angle. It shoots and breaks down just like the Glock 19. Only real difference is the Sigmas trigger is longer and heavier for safety reasons. I handled a Springfield XD awhile back and liked it. Grip angle was like the Sigma and the trigger was better. Your going to get different opinions and sometimes that is confusing. All three of these pistols should be available to rent at the range. You might find after trying all three that the Glock is the best. For me it was not.

Good luck,
    roaddog28
  5. kda

kda New Member

Over on GlockTalk, the G 19 is widely recognized as possibly the best of the Glock family although everyone has their own favorites for a variety of personal reasons.

I have a couple of G 19s, my friends all own at least one and we love them. No problems shooting them at all. Widely recognized for their utter reliability and tolerance for virtually any ammo (except unjacketed lead slugs), there are some Home Defense loads like the Federal 147 grain HST hollow points that erase any question about their suitability for personal or home defense.
  6. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

I love my 19.......... and my 17, and my 26. ;)

[​IMG]
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Well, personally I prefer the 1911s just because I like the feel, the power, the design, the look. But I shoot very accurately with the Glocks. They don't seem very expensive at all. The one up at Gander Mountain new was about $600 I believe. What do you guys think about that price? Too much? I think they are worth spending $600 on. It would just be nice to have something lighter than the 1911 I have so I can switch around if I ever wanted to carry or something. Trouble is, whenever I go buy .45ACP ammo, I look at the other ammo they sell and 9mm Luger is ALWAYS sold out. Meh, oh well. I'm going to the range tomorrow so I am going to rent one and try it out a little more.

How are the Glocks as far as the ease of field stripping and cleaning? Are they reliable guns or has anyone had problems with theirs? One thing I like about the 1911 - I can always be sure it won't be problematic. I'd like to buy a Glock knowing I'll never have a problem with it. They seem like well made pistols.

I'd also like to thank everyone for their input.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. wingspar

wingspar Member

$600 is extravagant for a G19. Should be able to pick one up for $540 or less out the door. Less if you do your shopping.

Glock 38 is their mid size in 45 ACP.
  9. roaddog28

roaddog28 New Member

Glocks are one of the simplest to field strip. So is the S&W sigma. They are very reliable. I believe the Glocks are probably the best "plastic guns going". All of the plastic guns now are taking a large number of the market. The actual steel semi-autos just don't have the market share anymore. If it was, Smith and Wesson would still be making the third generation semi-auto. In my opinion, one of the best and compares to Beretta, CZ, Sig and Hi powers from Browning.

Based on what you are saying, I would go buy a Glock. A fair price is about $550.00 for a G19.

Goodluck,
    roaddog28
  10. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

You can field strip a Glock for routine cleaning in about 5 seconds and a complete disasembly in about 5 minutes. The simplicity is the really cool thing about the Glocks.
  11. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

i love the springfield xd awesome gun dont really like the glocks that much
  12. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

I really like the 9mm Glocks as of recent. I would like to get a 26 myself.
  13. RonC1

RonC1 New Member

Glock is a combat handgun, that is, there are no manual safetys. Need to pay attention if you are carrying one of these.

The 19 is a 9mm with a slightly shorter barrel than the 17 and slightly longer barrel than the 26.

I have converted my Model 19 to 22 caliber with the Advantage Arms conversion. Fun gun to shoot, either way.
  14. John S Bryant

John S Bryant New Member

among my 'pieces' is a glock 19. several 12 round mags and 1 14 round mag. very compact and much firepower. like the 9mm because I re-load. not expensive to shoot...................