Opinions please- send them back? (photo)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jeffadaklin, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

Bought the wife and daughter each a KelTec P-32, they both failed to close the slide all the way after ejecting the spent round. The slides would stop about 1/4-1/2" short, so naturally the next round woudn't fire. I sent them back to K-T and asked to fix the FTF issue and that the area covering the chambers had worn. I told them this was only after 30-40 rounds. K-T sent them back, said they "polished the feed ramp, replaced parts." No more detail.
    So I checked them out and as you can see they did nothing about the wear. Question is should I send them back and demand- well, you know- insist? that they repair those worn areas? Assuming the wear was due to the slides not closing all the way, I would think no further damage shoudl occur, but would yall accept these the way they are? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

You should see how much my P32 has in that same spot. Perfectly normal wear.
  3. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

Yeh, I know guns can show wear- but after 40 rounds, it just seemed to be over the top on a brand new gun. I had sent a S&W back for something else, and just mentioned scratches on the dovetail of the front sight- S&W polished the scratches out, so I wondered if K-T shouldn't have fixed this much wear on a new gun. Thanks.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

seems a bit slack to me too , but consumer care aint what it used to be all over
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Inherent in the design. Normal cosmetic wear, even for 40 rounds, in that make/model.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Its normal and Keltec won't do anything about it. My CZP07 had marks like that after a few rounds too. You gotta remember also what your dealing with hear. Its a 250 dollar pocket pistol not a 3000 dollar presentation piece.
  7. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

I understand, just couldn't help but think that if it had the scuff marks, AND the slide was failing to close- they must be related. I agree it's not an expensive pistol, my main concern is- will those marks get worse? or did the polishing and stuff fix the pistol so it's reliable...knowhatImean? Thanks folks.
  8. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I doubt they would get worse have you tried them out again are they still failing? If so then send it back.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Yeah they'll get worse but it's not a problem. The wear marks are not part of the slide not closing problem.
  10. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Makes me not want to buy any of their products! I would send an email to corporate headquarters, telling how disappointed you are in their product. Send them a link to this post here too so they can see all the negative press that they are getting from the people who are most likely to buy their guns. That's what I would do!
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Take the guns to the range, and shoot the pee out of them! If they now function reliably, you are in business! Don't worry about the wear, it comes with the fact that you have shot the gun. If it's reliable, then the scoff marks just indicate that you are practicing with it. And that's what is important! Practice, Practice, Practice!
  12. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

As you probably know well, little teeny 32s ain't fun to practice with. We do it enough to make sure they function well, and will cycle whatever ammo we are using- and to be sure they can hit center mass- but when it comes to plinkin' for fun? These are NOT the ones we choose.
  13. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I wouldn't say it's negative at all. I have a P32 that has been flawless in my hands for the past 4 years. If I have my carry gun on me it's in my pocket. I have swam in the ocean with it in the trunks pocket. Even with the gritty sand in it the little gem still fired like it was nothing at all.

Now on the flip side I have had two separate shooter shoot my flawless P32 that could not get it to cycle a single round. Clear it and it fires off perfect for me. Hand it back and nothing but jams. A little coaching and the gun ran flawless for everyone.

As to the wear the OP needs to ignore it. It is normal and the guns will work great once they learn how it likes to be shot. I know several people that own a P32 or P3AT and they never have problems with them and trust them enough to carry them constantly like I trust mine.
  14. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

On semis with that barrel design, expect wear. Try breaking is down, give it a cleaning, lube the moving parts and give it another try. My XD9's chamber has wear marks, too. Nothing wrong.
  15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

jeff go to KTOG and read how and where and what to use to lub a pistol conrectly and if you see anything that has a sharp edge or corner smooth it off and shoot the heck out of it.

Boris I bought a kahr cw9 that the first owner could make shoot a full mag with out problems. Gun was bone dry. I cleaned it, lube it and it runs like one should . So impressed i bought a cm9 for pocket carry 800 round trouble free. I firmly believe some people should just not own firearms.

dennis c if you take the melonite finish off your glock it would also show wear in the same spot. The finish is only 2nd in hardness to diamond and even a well shot glock well show some polishing and wear if you shot your enough. Atleast my G17 does. Take person with limited firearm knowledge to make a remark like you did.
  16. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

Haven't had time to take apart and polish the inside parts yet, but did go back to the range- another 30 rounds thru each of them and no problem. That's the most important thing. They really are pretty nice pistols, like someone said for $250 they get the job done, and I would buy them again, if needed to serve the same purpose. The girls wanted something teeny, to fit in sweater pockets, small purses, and their revolvers wouldn't do it. Thanks again for the info folks.
  17. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

As everyone else said, that is normal wear. Any semi auto pistol will show that after a very few rounds..UNLESS, these are deep gouges. Using a good lube might help. Pick up a bottle of SBGO.

I suspect that the FTF problem might have been due to your daughter and wife limp-wristing these pistols. It is essential to maintain a firm grip on a semi auto to ensure normal cycling.
  18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

jeffadakin If any of the girls find the KT feels so small or to much recoil or just not right check out the bersa thunder 380 single stack. Heavier but still a lighter weight and a longer grip area. I went through all this with my youngest daughter and she inded up really likeing that madel. Basical the same size and feel as the ole PPK but the price is the same as the KT. At around 240 to 250 new.
  19. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

I put Packamyr grip gloves on them, and they don't complain about the fit, just the recoil- but so do I. Ya know we considered the Bersa, but couldn't try one out so settled on these, and they're working out.
    As for limp-wristing, no, it failed to feed for me, too, and I considered that from the beginning.
    Good news is after KT fixed them, the action is smoother, trigger included, and so far no more failures. Think I probably will buff em up, later, and cerakote or duracoat them, too. Since everyone figures the wear is normal, and now they're dependable, I think we got it licked. Thanks again.
  20. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Do the ladies have any problem with the 30 lb. trigger pull.... :rant: