The Firearms Forum banner

opinions please

939 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Old Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
On the Springfield Armory XD Essentials in 40 cal? Sorry, spell check changed it to CD instead of XD. They are advertising them at my LGS. 3" barrel for $469.

#4 ·
I shoot a xdm 40 4.5inch barrel are you looking to carry this thing?
If so the xd sub compact is a nice gun.
I would have one but I have enough guns. I carry the xdm with lose clothing when i can but I mostly have my Glock 27 with me all the time.
the xd compact in 40 is a nice carry. I think this is what you are talking about.
Looks like a fair price.
the 40 in sub is snappy but if you shoot 135grain you should be all right

#5 ·
I do not have a high opinion of the XD. I waited for the XD(m) to get out and bought one in .40 S&W. When I got around to taking it to the range I did not like it. It shot fine but it just didn't feel good in my hand at all. I threw it in the trunk of the car and left it. A week or so later I was back at the LGS and I told the owner how much I hated the thing. He gave me full purchase price as trade in on something else so I traded it.

I few months later, I was at the LGS and I saw a used XD in .357 Sig. Since I had kinda been wanting something in .357 Sig, I thought I would give Springfield another try so I bought it. Took it to the range and same thing, it just didn't feel good. This time I sold it to a friend at a loss. I have decided that I will never buy another XD(anything).

#7 ·
gdmoody brings up a valid point the xd does have a different feel, but shoots great.
One should always try a gun on for size.
My wife tried every gun in the subcompact range and chose a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 C. I hoped she would pic the xd 40 sub but she did not like it as well.
That is why there are so many out there i guess.
Hope this works out for you, but if this is your first gun spend some time looking for the right one and do not skimp on price. also bye it from a local gun shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.