Opinions sought, Kimber vs Springfield

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by smlranger, Jan 4, 2012.

1. smlranger

smlranger New Member

I've narrowed my choice for a full size 1911 in 9mm to two pistols; either a Springfield loaded or the Kimber Custom II target. My local favorite GS sells both (may have to wait for some time to get the Springfield if that is my final choice) and I want to support my local guy.

So, looking for learned opinions on the Kimber vs. Springfield in terms of overall quality, durability, customer service, function out of the box, especially from those who have experience with both brands.

I do have one Kimber, an Eclipse Custom II 45. It is a nice pistol but did have to go back to Kimber early on due to short primer strikes. They fixed it and returned it in 3 weeks. I was not impressed with the difficulty I had speaking to their customer service. However, if a gun runs like it should, calling the manufacturer should be a rare thing.

I realize I am considering pistols that were designed to fire 45 and were 'modified' for the shorter 9mm round. Everything I've read about any of the 1911's chambered for 9 seems to indicate potential for being finicky with some ammo.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have both but the Kimber gets fired 80% of the time. I don't know why exactly, but I shoot more accurately with it.
  3. MichiganShootist

MichiganShootist New Member

I have owned both of the pistols you are considering. I traded the Kimber away and have long been sorry I did. It was a fine pistol.

I believe that the Springer is probably a better value and their life of the gun customer service guarntee is impossible to beat.

Last year I burned through nearly 8K rounds in the Springer in IDPA & USPSA matches with zero problems. I shot Winchester white box, S & B, Remington FMJs and reloads. I personally think 99.999% if the reputation the 9 mm 1911 has for FTF etc are the problem of the magazines. I tried at least 5 brands which just weren't reliable (including Wilsons)... then I found Tripp Research 10 round mags. They are EXCELLENT. A little pricey but EXCELLENT.
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Whichever one you like the looks of better, go with it. Cant go wrong with either. I think both charge a little premium for their name, but other than that they are good weapons.
  5. smlranger

smlranger New Member

Thanks for the feedback, especially from those of you who have/had these pistols.

I can get either pistol from my local guy for about $900 (Kimber might be a few $$ more).

Did you have any problems getting hollow point ammo to run in either of these?
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I own one and have shot the other. Assuming everything is right on them you wont have a problem getting hollow points to shoot. I had to do lot of minor work on my Kimber to get it to function reliably. My friend had to do a lot of minor work on his Springfield to get it to run reliably. They are tit for tat in my opinion. My Kimber still will jam on occasion. My judgment is clouded by my Wilson Built Colt so take it for what its worth.
  7. dbennett48

dbennett48 New Member

I shoot JHP in my Kimber Custom II without any problems. In fact, I shoot most anything without problems in the Kimber.
  8. smlranger

smlranger New Member

OK, found the Kimber at a gun store in the area and got a pretty good deal on it. Photos and a range report soon to follow.
  9. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I only know what I've read on this forum about Kimber's. There seem to be alot of Kimber owners who have also had to send them to the factory for tweaks or adjustments. S/A's not so much. I wouldn't trade my EMP for any Kimber.
  10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The most significant difference between current Kimbers and Springers is that Kimbers use a Swartz type firing pin block safety and Springer does not. Some folks really detest the extra linkage in these FPBs and that makes the Springer a better choice for them. I have a few of both and it's a moot point to me...
  11. lester7009

lester7009 New Member

One thing to remember about Springfield you have a life time warranty weather new or used Kimber you are on your own after there period of warranty.