Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RyeLou, Mar 11, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou New Member

I've been debating which handgun to purchase as my first, and just can't make up my mind. I'm getting as many peoples opinions on various guns as I can. I own other guns, but not a handgun, FYI.

One I'm very interetsed in, is the FN FNP9
    [​IMG]

Another is a CZ75BD. I like the idea of the decocker. Is it really necessary though?
    [​IMG]

I'm looking in that general price range. I know those two specific guns are not very similar at all, but I like each of them for what they are. I like the steel frame of the CZ, and its a little larger which I like too. The FN I like the compact design of it, and the lightweight polymer frame. My use for the handgun will mainly be target shooting. As of now, I don't plan on carrying it with me. I don't want a gun that is going to break on me, but I'm not overly concerned about either of these. Opinions? Other guns suggested in this general price range?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi RyeLou.......welcome to TFF!

My recommendation for a first handgun.......none of the above!

I would strongly suggest you start with a .22 Rimfire. Learn to handle it safely and proficiently and then, sometime in the future, you can go on to bigger and better things.

Starting out with a .22 has a number of advantages:

The guns are relatively inexpensive, (as compared to larger caliber pistols).

Ammo is cheap.....so you can afford to shoot it a lot.....and shooting a lot is the way to build proficiency and accuracy.

The bigger the caliber, the bigger the recoil. .22 has little recoil, so shooting it won't "build in a flinch" when you're learning to shoot.

.22 Rimfire is a very accurate round. You can have as much fun target shooting with a .22 as you can have with a more powerful round.....and it's a helluva lot cheaper.

When you've become really proficient with a .22, and have built good shooting habits, that's the time to consider moving up to a larger caliber.
  3. RyeLou

RyeLou New Member

I apologize for not putting this in my original post, but this wouldn't be the first handgun I've shot. I've actually shot quite a few, most being 9mm. I've shot a Sig P226, an XD9, some version of an S&W .38sp, a Glock 19, Beretta 92F and a few others I can't think of at the moment. I'm not completely inexperienced with handguns at all, I would just be new to owning one. I'm not looking to get a .22 rig, although it is a good suggestion for a brand new shooter.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have heard VERY few complaints about the CZ line.
    The EAA Witness is another in that same category.
  5. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

you cant go wrong with a cz
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CZ entered into general distribution here in the US after the fall of the Iron curtain (CZECH made). They already had an excellent reputation even though they were not generally available here in the USA. They are on a quest to become a leader in the arms industry here in the USA. Their guns are and always have been excellent. The center of their pistol universe is the CZ75. You would do yourself a real favor if you bought a CZ 75B! Besides steel guns are forever. Plastic guns will eventually degrade over time just as a plastic picnic fork does.

As an aside the EAA witness line is a clone of the CZ75 series pistols and while close is not a real match to the real thing, the CZ itself. I have a Witness in 45 ACP and it is fine, but not quite a CZ.

LDBennett
  7. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one, and some have lint.

Your question, more aptly is "Which turd shall I buy? The Doberman or the Poodle?"

Buy a good 1911...Kimber comes to mind...and you'll have it in perfect working order long after these two fall apart.

Now, If you own one of these two beauties mentoned here, and like it, good for you. I'm glad you got a good one and I hope it gives you may years of shooting pleasure.

Just my opinion.

Don't hate me, I'm a Glock man mysely...Yup...Tupperware Rules...
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

You say you have shot an XD-9, and it's not one of your choices......?

When it comes to "tactical tupperware" you can't go wrong with an XD....

A "plastic" picnic fork is made of plastic, and will (over a very long period of time) break down.
    The "Polymer" used in handgun construction is an entirely different chemical composition that is far stronger, not as brittle, and will out last plastic by another million and a half years. In other words, we'll all be dead and gone before a polymer gun disolves.

I was never a big fan of "plastic bottom feeders" myself until recently. But after shooting a few, then buying a Springfield XD-9 service model, I'm at least sold on this particular brand of tactical tupperware......

However, if your only two choices are between the FN, and the CZ, I'd probably go with the CZ as they are well built guns at an affordable price....
  9. LDBennett

TONY MIG:

'The "Polymer" used in handgun construction is an entirely different chemical composition that is far stronger, not as brittle, and will out last plastic by another million and a half years. In other words, we'll all be dead and gone before a polymer gun disolves.'

Plastic forks don't dissolve, they break. I know they say it is forever but plastic (your polymer) is effected much more by its environment than steel or aluminum. Put the wrong chemical on it, just let it age in a o-zone environment, or put it in the sun too long (UV) and who knows? I am talking about keeping the guns in the family for many, many generations. I'll bet the plastic wonder (read cheaper to make) guns won't out last a good metal (preferably steel) gun. I won't be around to win the bet but my relatives will be.

LDBennett
  10. offeror

offeror New Member

As someone who has worked with plastics companies, I know that not all polymers are created equal -- just the opposite in fact. It seems like everybody has his own recipe, and proud of it. The Germans have a national quality standard for their polymer composition, something that is only now catching on in the U.S. They are mostly now adopting the German standards for polymers over here; for a long time in the past, the best polymer was imported to the U.S. from Europe, and companies paid the cost even though it was more expensive.

With that preliminary, I like polymer guns in general, and mostly trust them at least for near-term use. But just because Glock's polymer products have passed drop tests and sea water tests and such, I certainly don't expect ALL polymer guns or accessories to do so.

But I have not yet heard anyone complaining about some particular gun whose plastic fell apart in service, either. I'm guessing it will happen sooner or later, but I couldn't tell you who makes a second rate polymer gun. Most of us don't know where these companies get their polymer or how it compares to the product of other makers. (As a comparison, we have strong opinions about the quality of various polymer gun magazines, and we are aware of the different compositions used in knife handles -- but you don't hear people differentiating polymer gun frames much.)

So I still prefer to trust "known" manufacturers for my polymer-framed guns. Among those I would tend to trust are guns from CZ, the XD line,the H&Ks, and of course the Glocks. There are others. But keep in mind that the breeding of polymers is largely unknown, and we do a lot of our buying based on trust and reputation -- and maybe some (unwarranted) borrowed trust based on the certifiably torture-tested Glocks.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  11. LDBennett

offeror:

The solution is to buy STEEL. In most cases it composition is know to be adequate. As a compromise buy aluminum frames and steel slides. Stay away from plastic and off brands.

That is my best advice!

Sorry to be so abrasive but your good explanation of polymers ended in the thought that we know little about how good of a job that manufactures of polymer guns do on their homework and that homework is paramount in the gun lasting. That left me with the the thought that your explanantion is all the more reason to not buy polymer guns. When they are 100 years old and still not broken I think we can easily make the assessment that Polymer is good but not until then if we plan to pass our guns on to our decendents and I do.

LDBennett
  12. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

13. chunk

chunk New Member

CZ 75... THEY KICK A$$ had one for years, awesome weapon