Opinions

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by myfriendis410, Aug 10, 2012.

1. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I have a chance to buy a new in the box, Ruger 77 tang safety heavy barrel in 25-06 for $400. Any thoughts on this? Is it worth: getting the barrel fluted and maybe Ackley Improving it? What think you? JLA?
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

what do they selll for new?

i looked in buds and it seems the 77 go for 571.00 and up into the 600's
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

My opinion is, if that is what you are looking for, it's a good deal, if it's not what you want, it's not a good deal at any price.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I think it will be a fine shooter as is. Maybe glass bed it and a trigger job (maybe)and a few little things like that but I wouldn't bother with fluting personally.

Good caliber and a nice rifle, I think $400 is a very good price for a NIB.
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Do not waist money on fluts. May kill what accuracy it has when cutting on finished barrels. Unless your a skilled handloader AI probably not worth while. It could be a solid 400 yard performer if it shots allready. That rifle is how old, 18 to 20 years? The 400 dollars might be a deal if the barrel is good?? Have the guy take you you and shoot it. See if its a shooter or not first. Not a deal if it is not a shooter now.

If it shots well it might be a good idea to bed and block the reciever and first 3" of the barrel and maybe have a smith recrown the barrel. And then enjoy your new hunter.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id be on that deal like flies on $#!+.. Not only is it a ruger tang safety, but its a heavy barrel .25-06. you cant ask for a better all around hunting round and its not a bad target round either.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Dig in your pocket for the cash and do it fast before some body else does. Then shoot it before you decide what if anything to do with it. I concur on the fluting, it might shave a few ounces off and look wicked in the gun rack but won't do much for it beyond that. If the barrel is decent you have one of the worlds premier antelope and long range deer guns just as it sits. If you decide to re-barrel that would be the time to get a fluted barrel.
  8. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

Thanks for the responses. This gun is NIB so I won't be test driving it. If I were to get it I would want to lighten it some. I carried a heavy Ruger many years ago and have no intention of doing it again. If fluting the barrel would be a bad idea then I don't want it. I would definitely put a Timney trigger on it and would like to Ackley-Improve it. Of course; I could just buy something else and play with it.......
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Kind of what I was thinking myself.
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Sounds like you need to buy it and send it to one of these guys..... I think JLA got a little drool on his keyboard.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

only a little..
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

4 bills hell yeah...
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I think I'll go for it. I just have to gather the dough together and close the deal. He's actually had it for several years and I'm the only one around really interested. Of course; now that I want to get it he's probably sold it.......

Any thoughts on Ackley Improving it? I've never shot one but the performance increase is attractive.
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Who has that rifle? Cause I should be getting an M1 Carbine in shortly and I would do a straight up trade for that rifle.
  15. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I would take the rifle in a SECOND!!!
  16. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Oh, I wouldn't bother doing the AI thing. You only get 100-200 fps out of it for the amount of extra powder you burn I don't think it is worth it. Last article I read thought it may lower your accuracy....only a very small % though like 1 or 2% I believe. Maybe that is the extra recoil, don't know that was their findings though. So, you spend more money on powder for more recoil and less accuracy. You do get a little more speed though.
  17. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

400 bucks for a Rifle with the Ruger 77 tang safety, "heavy barrel in 25-06'... Not sure I could pass that up!
    Did you end up with the Rifle, 410?
  18. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Four bills for a N.I.B. Ruger 77 sounds like a good deal. The 25-06 a magnum in everything but name is one hot sumbitch, velocity/energy it's right on the heels of the .257 Weatherby and little would be gained by going the Ackley route. Ackley himself said that most of the conversions bearing his name, weren't worth the trouble for the minor gains that some produced. The only down side I've ever seen with this cartridge is that bullet weight stops at 120 grains, and the industry standard 1:10 twist might not stabilize bullets heavier than this anyway.