The Firearms Forum banner

Optics for long range

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  308 at my gate 
#1 · (Edited)
The max range thread got me thinking about optics.

I personally use powerful variable scopes with a mill dot. I use a method of hold over and pre figured bullet drops. It takes me a while and a calculator to do this. I put this info on a cheat sheet and bring it out to the field with me. Once i have the distance to the target i adjust as need be. I never make adjustments on the scope turrets. I find my method to be quick. However I only have the distance I have prefigured to shoot to unless i pull out the calculator. But then again I dont plan to shoot past 500 yrds. Yes this does take time to set up. I use match ammo and a chrony. You would be suprised but factory ammo even the good stuff may have as much as 200 fps difference from one bullet to the next. This is ok for up to 300 yrds but not long range.

There is another method of long range shooting where you adjust your scope once you have the distance to the target.

OK so what methods do you guys use and what optics do you use to get there?

#2 ·
On 500 yard shots I like the Shepherd 6x18 match the scope to the round and there's nothing to it! This scope has the range finding reticles and they have worked great for me. I liked the first scope so well I bought two more!

#3 ·
On 500 yard shots I like the Shepherd 6x18 match the scope to the round and there's nothing to it! This scope has the range finding reticles and they have worked great for me. I liked the first scope so well I bought two more!
I was allmost going to go with them. I have never seen one in person. But I do hear good things about them.

#5 ·
I use the same method as you Cycloneman. I have a Leupold 6x20 50mm objective on my 308. The reticle is 3/8 mil dots from premier reticle. I take a paper target at 100 yards and draw a 10 inch line on it and measure it with the reticle. Then at 500 yards of course you just multiply by 5. I chronograph my loads look up the ballistics for that bullet in my book for the drop at the velocity I chronographed and then hold over with the correct mil dot. The first time I did this calculation and shot my 308 with a cold barrel I hit the steel ram at 500 yards. It blew me away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.