Ordered a new Bowie Knife for myself

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by jacksonco, Feb 10, 2010.

1. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I ordered a Cold Steel Trail Master with the San Mai III steel blade. I watched a video where a guy cut through 4 inches of free hanging manilla work with a single swipe. This knife has a 9 1/2 inch scary sharp blade. They also bent the blade with a pipe over it until the point was nearly at a 50 degree angle and it sprung right back. Talk about tough. Now I have to wait for the Fedex guy to bring it to me. I have $264 and change in it including the shipping. I ordered it from http://www.trueswords.com
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I own a Cold Steel knife. Haven't been disappointed yet as far as the quality of metal goes. Mine is a Voyager with a straight tanto blade, the failure was with the handle's clip. It's saved my life and has a special place because of that. The pocket clip broke, a handle failure. Otherwise it's fine. It's not for sale or trade.
  3. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

Trail Masters are awesome! I have an early SRK- USA and have had good luck with it.
    Congrats on a nice knife!
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Finally the Trail Master showed up today. And I am very much impressed with it. It will add some class to my other big knives. It is my second Cold Steel knife. I have a K4 neck knife but it is an inexpensive knife but does well on veggies and stuff. I also received an SOG Aegis assited opening knife yesterday and I really like it also. I believe it will become my EDC.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You have to love a good knife, and a Bowie does it all! Congrats!
  6. michael t

michael t New Member

Now get a Laredo I like my trail master for work knife. Laredo be my 1st choice for social work. I like Cold steel
    Pocket clip broke on my old Voyager as well but had years of carry and use. Its retired and not for sale also. Been replaced with a XL Voyager
  7. MagnumFan

MagnumFan Former Guest

Cold Steel knives are awesome. I have a Trail Master Carbon V, a Magnum Tanto, a Recon Tanto, and a Taipan.
    The Taipan has scary sharp double edges.
    My next one is going to be the Natchez Bowie.
  8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I here you on the Natchez Bowie. That is one that will be in my collection one day. I also would like the Larado Bowie too! I really like big knives :D
  9. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I have this hunting buddy from Georgia, comes up here to Alaska for a couple months of hunting every fall. His younger brother came up last year, this guy had knives in his boots, on belt, behind back, and I'm sure had a few others as well. Anyway, turned out he had a forge at home and made his own knives. So I had him make me a Damacus Bowie, 8 incher wth moose antler handle.

Now, I've never spent real money on any knives, Gerber guy. This one cost $600 and for my son. When I saw his own knives, how they held an edge, and how great looking they were; I had to get one. Buddy is bringing it up with him come August. I'm going to have him make me a skinner for nx year.

I don't know much about custom knives. This guy's knives are really something else too. $600 is a fair price I figured for something like he had himself; or am I wrong?
  10. big steve

big steve New Member

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

That sounds awesome. Please post pictures of it when you get it. I am gun poor at the moment and it will be awhile before I will be making any more knife purchases. I have been eye balling a couple of Bark River Knives. They are not $600 but they run $150 and up with a lot of them over $200.

I do believe that A Cold Steel Larado with San Mai III steel shall be my next purchase as soon as I recover from the last gun purchase.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  12. MH2008

MH2008 New Member

I love watching their videos of them cutting and stabbing everything. Would not mind their job at all!
  13. ozo

ozo Active Member

14. Country101

Country101 Active Member

The guy at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO does a demonstration like that. He cuts the 1' manilla rope about 2-3 feet down so it is free swinging, then stabs a heavy gauge steel drum, bends the end of the blade with a 3lb hammer and then cuts the rope again. He handed me his big bowie that he carries. I looked at it and started to hand it back. I kind of twirled it on my palm to give him the hilt and it BARELY scraped my skin and took the hide right off. I quickly soaked the blood on my pants to hide it. :eek: He's sharp. Before all the cutting and stuff he beats a blank on the forge while describing some of his techniques and some of the differant metals he uses. He used to be a metalurgist as well. I'm really wanting to get one of his knives. I'll end up spending close to $600 for one atleast.
  15. MH2008

MH2008 New Member

That one is very cool OZO.
  16. redworm

redworm New Member

You watch one of those video's an it makes you want to hit the add to cart button..........That guy cutting rope was impressive. That big knife made that rope look like soft butter...........Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet......Redworm.......