Ordered Another Yugo 59/66 SKS

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by mauserman454, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Well, I put in an order with Aim for $109 Yugo 59/66 SKS from Aim, I got one from them about a year ago, it its in new condition. I love it, but I dont shoot it much, because it is so nice.

So I want to shoot this one more. I plan to try a scope on this one, one of those setups where you just swap the receiver cover. It doesn't permanantly alter the rifle, and it was cheap, $14 for the new cover and rings & $22 for the scope. I've heard that this setup is not that good, but for what I have invested into it, I thought I would give it a try.

MM454
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

That scope setup can be decent if you do it right. You have to make sure that the receiver cover is rock-solid. You can mount the scope perfectly, but it won't help if the receiver cover is wobbly on the rifle, which 99.9% of them are.

If it is wobbly, you can use JB Weld to add material underneath, then file it down so that the cover fits snugly. There are also ways to add set-screws to the cover so that it's firmly locked into place.

But still, every time you remove that receiver cover for normal cleaning, you're going to have to re-zero the scope. Or at least check the zero on it.
  3. parpat

parpat New Member

I have a scope mounted on the rear case, I bought it as a package, thing nice about it is that the cover has two set screws that you can tighten the cover, so that it does not move at all
  4. law27

law27 New Member

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum. I read the posts about the Yugos and was wondering if you all had seen anything on the Tech-SIGHT aperture sight for the SKS. Here is a link to one forum where they have been talking about it.
    Surplusrifles.com
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

They've gotten good reviews from everyone I know who has tried them, although it does make it hard to strip your rifle.

Most people prefer to use the Tech Sights in combination with a Willams Fire Sight front post.
  6. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

I've done the reciever cover scope mount thing, and no matter what you do to make the cover "solid," it still moves around when you shoot the thing. Every time the trigger is pulled, the bolt, and recoil spring slam ito the rear of the cover jarring it about. You cannot violate the laws of physics. A better solution would be to use one f the "Scout" scope mounts. This mounts replace the rear sight, and are sold.

So long as you don't expect sub moa groups, you won't be disappointed.
  7. Toney

Toney Member

Your groups with a cover mounted scope will open up 3 or 4x what your shooting now took mine off right after sighting it in. Passed up an very good m95 to buy it, to make one work you will have to drill and tap the reciver