The Firearms Forum banner

Oregon Disabled Hunters and Crossbow

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mogunner 
#1 ·
The state of Oregon does NOT recognize the crossbow as a legal weapon.
This Jan.10, in Salem OR. there will be a meeting of the ODF&W Commission at which this topic will be addressed. Those interested in supporting this effort to change the rules should either plan to attend the meeting or voice their interest via emails to the ODF&W Commission.
ODFWcommission@state.or.us, or call Roxie Borisch at 503-947-6314.

As a disabled hunter myself I support the effort to change these rules as Oregon is one of the only states without some provision for crossbow use.
The opposition seems to mostly from the traditional archers groups.

#3 ·
Missouri allowed it for disabled hunting, but it was a pain to get approved. I couldn't get one for being disabled, and I've been on disability fir 12 years for numerous things including back, and shoulder problems. If you weren't disabled you could use a crossbow, but it could only be during firearms season.

This year they changed it, amd anyone can use a crossbow during archery season, but now you can't use archery equipment during firearms season for deer, and fall turkey. Though the archery seasons last a heck of a lot longer, amd you can Tage more deer, and turkey.

A lot of guys who strictly hunt firearms protested. For people who meat hunt to feed their family it has helped because I cam now hunt in archery season, and so can my wife since she is pregnant. 3" Turkey shells I think would make our baby feel like it's an earthquake lol.

#4 ·
Missouri allowed it for disabled hunting, but it was a pain to get approved. I couldn't get one for being disabled, and I've been on disability fir 12 years for numerous things including back, and shoulder problems. If you weren't disabled you could use a crossbow, but it could only be during firearms season.

This year they changed it, amd anyone can use a crossbow during archery season, but now you can't use archery equipment during firearms season for deer, and fall turkey. Though the archery seasons last a heck of a lot longer, amd you can Tage more deer, and turkey.

A lot of guys who strictly hunt firearms protested. For people who meat hunt to feed their family it has helped because I cam now hunt in archery season, and so can my wife since she is pregnant. 3" Turkey shells I think would make our baby feel like it's an earthquake lol.
Yes, they sure do like changing stuff here, don't they? I've only been activelt hunting for three years now and man, I have to sit down and study up every year! Now they want to outlaw hog hunting on conservation areas. I may go with a crossbow this year for archery, as NO ONE comes out here for that part of the season but it looks like a gypsy caravan come firearm opening day. Thankfully I'm up towards the end of the public land so basically they all chase them my way once the shooting starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.