oregon trail laser cast bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by harleyhobie, Mar 15, 2010.

1. harleyhobie

harleyhobie New Member

was just looking on cabela's website and saw these bullets for $59 per 500. just wondered if anybody had any experience with them i'd be using them for target shooting plinking etc in my 45's. thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They are fantastic. Get the 230 gr RN bullets and load over 5.4 gr HP-38. groups are superb and velocity replicates old army loading of 810 fps.
  3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

100% with JLA - those are great bullets. They have very good quality control at that Lazer Cast place. Bullet accuracy was superb. I'd bet the lighter .45ACP bullets are just as good.

I used to load those up for my .45 Colt (250 grainers). Very good quality. I cast my own 255 grain bullets now for the Colt, but only because I recycle the lead and it's cheaper, and I cast for most of my other pistol calibers. If you're going to buy cast bullets, that is the way to go!
  4. harleyhobie

harleyhobie New Member

sounds good appreciate the feedback. I was thinking for the kind of shooting i am mostly doing that was a great price i'll order some and give them a try.:)
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

They're 24 bhn(hard) I use lots of 'em & relly have liked them. I bought the Lasercast load manual. It's very good.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, I've used em with good luck too. Seem to be a nice quality bullet.
    I have only seen a couple bullets out of at least a dozen boxes that didn't get lubed fully and haven't found any bad casts yet either.

I've used both the 230grLRN and the 225grTC in my 1911s.
  7. harleyhobie

harleyhobie New Member

ok sounds like a good consensus on the bullets i'll order some and try them out. thanks for the replies.
  8. Tanker6

Tanker6 New Member

I used 180 gr 40 S&W Lasercasts for my first 1000 rounds. I had no problems at all out of them and they were as accurate as I could make 'em. :D

I've found another source (Missouri Bullet Co) that seems like a good supplier that is much cheaper, so I'm currently waiting on a box of 500 of those to try out. It won't make the Lasercasts any worse....just looking to shave $40/1000 off my costs. If the MBC's don't work, then I'll go back to Lasercasts.

Just my $.02.

Chuck
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

10. sorral

sorral New Member

I have been shooting these for a while. My buddy reloads them and we shoot them for training and practice for IDPA. The price is really low, bullets seem to shoot and feed well. We load them with 3.8gr of Clays. using a 230g RN.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

12. merbeau

merbeau New Member

I have been experimenting with the Laser Cast 180 gr. SWC in my 45. I noticed that the accuracy seems to be better with higher loads (e.g., the best accuracy was 4.8 gr of HP38 or 7.6 gr of Ramshot True Blue - both produced 1.5 in groups at 25 yards from my SW 745.) Accuracy really tailed off at lower loads that I tried (i.e., 4.0 gr of HP 38 and 6.4 gr. True Blue) and you could feel the unburnt powder on your face.

I seemed to have read that the hardness of the Laser Cast bullet requires higher velocities. Is this correct?
  13. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Lasercast's manual states that their 24 bhn (very hard) bullets obturate at 7,000 psi & should show good accuracy at that point. 7,000 psi is pretty low pressure.