Origin Of "Left Or Right " ......

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by JohnHenry, Oct 10, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Left & Right...
    Origin of Left & Right...
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and
    Liberals are called the "left."

By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Thus sayeth the Lord. Amen.

Can't get any simpler than that.

and now for a Spelling Lesson-------

The last four letters in American..........I Can
    The last four letters in Republican........I Can
    The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson. Test to follow in November, 2012

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent
    removal month.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I always think of it this way.

In an eclectic group of people, only some will be right (correct).
    Remove them.
    The rest are left.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I like it! I also like verses 4, and 5!
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Some good thoughts, but not very historical or factual.

The actual origin of "right" and "left" came from the French National Assembly of 1789, where supporters of the king seated themselves to the right of the assembly president, that is to the left of the hall as seen from the rear. Supporters of the revolution sat on the president's left, or the right of the hall. Moderates, or those who couldn't make up their minds, sat in the center.

The use of "red" and "blue" for the Republicans and Democrats originated with Tim Russert in the 2000 election. Prior to that, the colors were used, but there was no consistency, with one network using the that scheme, another network reversing the colors, to the confusion of viewers who switched channels. Russert, a liberal, apparently chose red for Repblicans to irk them, since red had always been associated with revolution, Communism, anarchy, and the color of the "capitalist" blood that radical leftists wanted to shed. Naturally, the rest of the left-wing media picked up the idea and the Republicans became "communist red" and the Democrats "patriotic blue".

So the Republicans were once again victims of the left wing media.

Jim
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Since Ecclesiastes was written around the 3rd century BC, I think it likely to be much older than the French National Assembly of 1789! How's that for origins!

As a side note on Ecclesiastes: Thomas Wolfe wrote: "of all I have ever seen or learned, that book seems to me the noblest, the wisest, and the most powerful expression of man’s life upon this earth — and also the highest flower of poetry, eloquence, and truth. I am not given to dogmatic judgments in the matter of literary creation, but if I had to make one I could say that Ecclesiastes is the greatest single piece of writing I have ever known, and the wisdom expressed in it the most lasting and profound."
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012