Original Bell Nose Remington

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Pustic, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Pustic

Pustic Member

Someone told me a few years ago about the Bell Nosed Remington, and I didn't believe him. I finally found a picture of an original Bell Nosed Remington, with the holster, I now believe him.
    And it looks like they make modern reproductions of the Bell Nose. I don't know why, but I want one. :)

Attached Files:

2. dustydog

dustydog New Member

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If Remington made such an animal it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere in any of my references :eek:
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

doesn't ring a bell...
  5. Pustic

Pustic Member

I seems that Colt also made a bellnose with the 1860, and one is for sale.

This describes the bottom bellnose Colt, which is for sale, the top bellnose is a museum piece.
    The only way to describe this original "Bellnose" pistol is "The Best of the Best". There are really no signs of use or wear on this pistol anywhere except for some minor shrinkage of the ivory grips which is to be expected considering their age. All the serial numbers match and the safety pins on the back of the cylinder are crisp and sharp. The gun is virtually a 98-99 % piece. Impossible to upgrade.

Price: $128,500.00

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  6. dcriner

dcriner Member

Question: what was the idea of the bellnose? Just looks?
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

On a so called Blunderbuss the bell made it a lot easier to load ( not to spread the shot or charge as is commonly believed ) on a bouncing stage coach or express wagon. On a revolver that is loaded from the cylinder, I know of no advantage
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  8. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I really never saw anything like these two revolvers, and I like odd and curious fireaems! Thanks for posting the pictures.
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Bump back to the top
  10. Buffalochip

I have a bell-nosed Model 1860 Army. Unfortunatley, the bell is cracked--a common occurrence given the metals of the day.
    [​IMG]
  11. Pustic

Pustic Member

That doesn't look real, that's nothing but a add on. The ones I found are the real things with a real flaired barrel, not an added piece.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  12. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

That's a real shame about the bell on your pistol, Buffalochip. I'm sure the worth would be considerably less,now. If you want to sell and are at liberty to give me a price, I'm interested. ;)
  13. Buffalochip

Thanks Permafrost. It cracked one day when I was shooting it--used to ring like a bell, now not so much. I put a tiny bolt in the crack, like they did with the Liberty Bell, but alas, that had little effect. ..