Original Diana piper double barrel hammer shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by amike, May 27, 2012.

1. amike

amike New Member

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Made in Belgium by Henri Pieper. It has black powder and nitro proofs so it should be safe to fire but the chambers may be short. The 12 over C in a diamond means it's a 12 gauge made during the 20th century. The Original Diana is a remake of an older model. Not a lot of collector value.
  3. amike

amike New Member

Thank you very much Hawg for you direct response.
    Can you tell me what do you mean when you say...a)the chambers may be short.. , b)not a lot of collector value and c)about what decade you think it was made?
    Thank you again
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The chambers may be cut for shells from 2 1/2", 2 9/16", 2 5/8" or 2 3/4". A 2 3/4 will fit fine in a 2 1/2 inch chamber but when it's fired the crimp will open up over the forcing cone raising pressure drastically. By not a lot of collector value I mean not many people would want it. You'd be lucky to get a couple of hundred for it. As to when it was made my WAG would be sometime in the 20's. but that's just a guess on my part.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

For the most part the manufacturing date of older Belgium firearms is a guessing game, about the best you can do is an era. Most Belgian hammer shotguns were made prior to 1911. at that time the Belgium gun making business was stalled because the Germans decided to use Belgium for an express way to France. After 1918 the swing was to hammerless shotguns. That is not a hard and fast rule, I'm sure for a while some shotguns were made with outside hammers for the diehards. Even today outside hammer guns are being made in Spain, they are quite different from the old side hammers but some people like the visible hammers. Sometimes looking at the old catalogs can help date a gun. The Piper Family was best known for it's hand guns but they did make shotguns also,
  6. amike

amike New Member

I would like to thank you both for the information. The shotgun was my grandfather's and my father's so it has priceless value for me. It is good to know the real value and it's history .
    Anything else it is really nice to know.
    Thank you very much.:)