The Firearms Forum banner

Ortgies .32

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me a date for a ortgies .32 stamped Germany (import model) S# 1500XX? Thanks

#5 ·
Jim,
Not trying to stir the pot but,,,,What has left you with the opinion that the Ortgies are "ill" designed? I restored a .32 a couple years ago and was impressed with the simplicity of the design vs.other automatics of the same period such as the 1903 Colt. If the design flaw is that it feeds without jamming and hits where you point it then I will agree with you. No complaints with this one save I havn`t been able to find a pair of original grips for it with the Ortgie medallions .I had to settle for a repro pair in black plastic. Should anyone have a line on an original pair I would be interested.
Good Shooting
Joe

#6 ·
Hi, Joe.

Well, one thing is that they break firing pins with some regularity, even when not dry fired. Another is that the firing pin has two "feet" but only one engages the sear and if it breaks the gun can fire without human intervention; it has happened. Another is that the disconnector system is weak and prone to wear. And then there is the tricky way the gun has to be reassembled, with the firing pin guide inserted in the groove in the slide. While that is not bad if known, it has been the cause of many damaged guns when people were not aware of it and tried other methods of assembly. It is not really fair to blame the designer for the ignorance of others, but a better system would have prevented the problem.

The grip retention system is less than ideal. Even those who know "the trick" can break or chip the grips if not very careful. (I know that was driven by the desire to sell the guns in the U.S. where Browning's patent prevented use of a simple grip screw, but again I think another system would have been better.)

The designer seemed to have the goal of making the pistol totally "slick", and that was achieved. But it doesn't make, IMHO, a good design.

Jim

#7 ·
Jim,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. When I restored mine I did replace a missing/broken firing pin as well as the missing magazine and grips.It is a slick pocket piece and I do carry it and shoot it often. I know what you are talking about with the firing pin assembly.It is a bit tricky.I`m going to cross my fingers and hope it doesn`t break again. Got a case of Fioochi 32`s a few weeks ago and will be shooting it and a 1903 Colt that I restored with the coming of some warm weather. The grips are also a point of contention for the uninitiated.I bought a set of originals for a .25 with the thought if I didn`t find a set for my .32 I could use the medalions at least and make a set out of walnut for mine.Havn`t gotten to that project yet .If anyone is in need of a good set of grips for a .25 I would welcome a trade for .32 grips. Again thanks for your input and Good Shooting.
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.