1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ortgies owners:

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Slabsides, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

A friend of mine has a 6.35 Ortgies pistol that was missing the firing pin spring and spring guide pin. I got the parts from Numrich (plus a recoil spring) and the thing runs like a sewing machine now. Rings a steel plate at 25yds every time....what a sweet shooting, finely crafted machine.

One strange thing: The first round cannot be chambered with the grip safety pressed. The grip safety must be out for the slide to come back far enough to strip the round out of the mag. With the grip safety depressed and the slide pulled all the way back, it lacks about 1/16" from being able to pick up the round from the mag.

I've read that Ortgies have some strange quirks about them, but is what I'm seeing normal? Some sort of slam-fire safety?

Thanks in advance.
    SS
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun is not working right. I am not sure what is wrong, but it sounds like your firing pin spring guide may be too long. I don't have a .25 Ortgies, but Numrich lists only one so the .32 and .25 may be the same. Mine, from a .32, measures .680"; yours certainly should not be longer.

As you know, the top of the grip safety supports the firing pin spring guide, so if the guide is too long, you would experience that condition. It must be close, though, if the slide will pick up a round in firing and won't do it in manual operation. I recommend that you not fire the pistol until you have it checked out and determine what is wrong.

A big problem on those is installing the firing pin spring and guide but, since you have done so, I assume you know about seating the rear of the guide in the notch in the slide to reassemble.

The stories concern the fact that the Ortgies firing pin has only one sear engagement point. It looks as if it has two, but only one engages. If that point breaks (and they do), the gun will fire a round in the chamber. If the break is such that the firing pin may be caught by the sear but the vibration of the slide going into battery jars off the firing pin, the gun will fire again regardless of the disconnector. I have not seen any fire if the firing pin simply follows down, but I can't say it is impossible. I have seen reports that an Ortgies pistol fired all by itself, with no one near it. Sounds like "guns kill people" nonsense, but I can see it happening; a weak part under tension can break at any time, not just when being used.

FWIW, many experts consider those guns to be collectibles and recommend they not be fired or at least not carried or left loaded.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Thanks for the info Jim! We are thinking along the same lines. If the operation was wrong, I was thinking that the only thing that could limit it, would be the guide pin.....and since it's new to this gun.....theres the problem.

You are one step ahead of me though, I was going to ask for a measurement of the pin.:cool:

I had already double checked Numrich for a difference in pins for the different models. The same one is shown for the .25, .32 and .380.

My gut feeling told me that this was wrong, but I wanted to check with someone experienced with these unique guns before any further work. I know that these guns have some odd features and wanted to see if this was or was not one of them.

I will make one to your measurement and try before I cut down the real thing. I'll post back the results when I get a chance to work with it again.

Thanks again for your help!
    SS
  4. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

I cut it down to 0.680" and it now chambers first round with grip safety pressed no problem. Thanks again, Jim.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

From a long time owner, do not carry this gun with a round in the chamber.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Ron, why not? I've never carried mine. Just take it to the range to play. But now you got me curious.
  7. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Roger that, RJay. The gun is an heirloom. He does not carry it and stores it unloaded.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Alpo, for a reason not to carry, see my post above. If being carried in the belt, it could fire and do damage to areas you probably do not want injured.

Jim