Ortgies

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fprefect, Aug 13, 2012.

1. fprefect

fprefect New Member

My father obtained a Ortgies 7.65mm (32 auto) from a surrendering German officer in WW2. The firearm functions perfectly and also includes a leather holster with cleaning tools. The leather holster does have some cracks but is functional.

Any ideas what this firearm and holster might be worth?

fprefect
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Pics would be helpful if you can.
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

umm no picture or ser#..maybe $1 sight unseen?? kinda like a pig in a poke.....cant judge condition or anything...
  4. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Sorry, can't provide picture at the moment and apologies for not including the condition of the item.

No rust whatsover. Patina - bluing worn off on slide near end of barrel and to a very slight degree on 1/2 inch on end of slide. Wood grips in good condition. Not really interested in selling, but only interested in approx. price. If I can figure out how to load a photo from a cell phone, will post later.

I located the holster, and cracking is not apparent at all. Defects are scratching
    on the front and top, and small wear marks on the back where the holster contacted the user's pantlegs.

thanks,
    fprefect
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the description is good, about $250-300. The holster, maybe $40 more.

Jim
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

These guns were never Military issue, however they were used by the R.F.V., Reichsfinanzverwaltung , ( the Federal Finance Administration ). If there are R.F.V. markings , perhaps it was taken from a captured finance clerk. More likely it is a civilian purchase that may have been carried as a personal firearm by a German soldier or perhaps one that was confiscated from a private residence. But who knows, it may have been taken from a raving insane SS Colonel in hand to hand combat.:D
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Is the word "Germany" stamped anywhere on the pistol?
  8. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Printed on pistol: Doutsche Worke Aktiengesellschaft, Werk Erfurt.

I apologize for the lack of discriptiont on initial post.

fprefect
  9. fprefect

fprefect New Member

I have no idea as to the circumstances, but he also obtained his hat. If they put that kind of detail and expense into all such hats, no wonder they lost the war. Unfortunately I lost track of the darn thing many years ago.

fprefect
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It was very likely then, the officer was carrying a private purchase or a gift from a family member. Small handguns were a mark of prestige for staff officers, The higher the grade the smaller the pistol or so it seems.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The reason for the question is that those pistols were imported commercially into the U.S. before WWII and marked, as the law required, with the country of origin, Germany. Pistols without that mark were usually capture pistols, as you say yours is.

Jim
  12. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Thank all of you for your assistance. If I can find the darn cable that attaches my camera to the computer, I'll put up a photo.

fprefect