1. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

For awhile now, I frequented a few different gun/firearm forums, as I'm sure several of you do. There was one that I went to today that I hadn't been on in quite awhile due to a few members being complete jerks. Anyway, I post a reply to a post giving my opinion and advice and outlook. Soon, a couple more posts appear, completely dissecting my post and basically putting me and it, down. Know-it-alls. (And they were wrong.) I won't name the forum, but I'm not going back there. I realize that people can have different opinions and can disagree, but they were complete @sses. I had had several run-ins with various members on that site. I did kind of like the lay-out though. Anyway, anyone else have any unpleasant experiences on other forums, to the point you just say "enough!"? Or maybe its just my lack of social skills causing the problems? I don't know. I don't make alot of posts, I mostly just read and learn.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Your experience is very typical, actually.
    I have been involved in several different forums over the years, and experience shows me that internet forums are gathering places for all kinds of people. The impolite (to put it politely) people have a tendency to take over a forum, probably because the good people just won't put up with them and drift away, leaving them as the only members.

Many years ago, there was nothing that could be done about it, because even if the forum management removed the troublemakers, they simply re-joined under a different name. Now, the tools are in place to prevent that, so if a forum is populated by jerks, it is because the moderators/admin's either want it that way, or don't care enough to straighten it out. Many forums are like this today, and it is by no means restricted to Firearms forums.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree. It takes a lot of time, and effort, not to mention money in some cases, to run a fourm. If no one takes the time to do it right, it gets out of hand.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I was on another before this and I felt alot of the members were disrespectful. I feel that this forum is the best one. Everybody here seems to respect my opinion if I do the same to them. Never had to take any crap from anybody on here.
  5. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I post on some other forums, and have been lucky enough to find good ones.
    I do have just one issue with this forum though, it's when moderators delete posts or threads but don't say who did it or why. I think that if something posted is out of line enough to remove, it should not just "vanish" bus the mod should post why and by whom it was removed.
    I've had some posts get moved and deleted, and have noticed others getting the same treatment. I didn't always think the things posted to be out of line, and would have liked an explanation or at least aknowledgement about why it happened.
  6. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi folks! I am on others forums too and my opinion about this thread is in according with what wrote by hogger129. Anyway I belive the most important is have respect for others opinions, always even if you are not in according with it.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

"All content on, and or within this site, is the sole responsibility of the member(s) from which any such content originated, and may be subject to any modification, and or deletion at the sole discretion of the Staff without notice at anytime."

The above is from the forum guidelines, read um. If you have a post deleted, it was for a reason. We try to keep a PG-13 content due to members children looking over their shoulders. Bad language is also an issue as is not placing posts in the proper forums. They will be moved or deleted at Staff's decression. We try to keep an orderly forum but we can't please everyone but it seems like we have to babysit a few. Those days will be over very soon. I hope this has cleared up any confussion. :)
  8. red14

red14 Active Member

Hi 45, I have no complaints about the forum. That being said, can you be a little more specific about the highlighted red sentance?
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

My experience has been that there are usually cliques (clicks) on every forum and they get to a point where they will only respond to each other and all newbies are a bother. And they pick apart anything you say. I have no use for such places. I just would never go back there if I was you.
  10. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    It's interesting that it's so unusual that we feel compelled to comment on civilized behavior. I also "hang out" on OpenCarry.Org, and like that one, too. What's funny is, I just got finished reading a very similar thread.

It used to be that the local news would report about it everytime there was a fatal accident on the Capital Beltway, I-495. They gave that up years ago, because now there are so many there's really no news in it.

By contrast, and I feel the same way about this forum, we note the high incidence of decency as a newsworthy item. Doesn't speak well for society as a whole, does it?
  11. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I frequent other forums too and have encountered some differences of opinion and was even banned for life from one forum for comparing oranges to apples. If we all live by the Golden rule that unless something is based on concrete facts its just an opinion and like A-holes we all have one.:D:);)
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

Sorry about omitting the rest of your post, but, the rest is very true, and quite distressing. :(

This is a very nice and refreshing forum.;)
  13. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

This is a good place as are others. Opencarry.org, USAcarry, 1911. There are others. One forum closed down everything but tech, PerfectUnion.

I don't mind a reminder if I am out of line or over the top with bluntness or direct remarks. I try to be understanding and congenial but passionate beliefs have a way of taking on a life of their own.

Thanks for a good place to exchange ideas, Mods.
  14. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

other forums--sure

tweaked for re-loading; another for specific models or types of a handgun
    or rifle; interest in 2nd adm righs, ect.

----------------

as for posts disappearing, someone has a sig line something like--
    write, edit, write, post.

going along with that, i submit about half of what i think cause
    it is contentious or may be construed as racially charged.
    even things that are true need the proper 'forum' when expressed.
  15. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I belonged to a forum that had some kind of Gaybashing every week .It got to be real old and I just left.I join gun forums to talk guns period.I could care less about what people do in the bedroom or whatever.Life is too short to hate people because of their sexual habits.What really bothered me is when the Moderator would also join in.I truly worry about the mental stability of some gun owners.