Other Photos of my time --Goldenwings

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Photo Album' started by goldenwings, May 12, 2009.

1. goldenwings

goldenwings New Member

Non-Vietnam photos

1. Camp Lejeune 1994--preparing to do some SIE rigging (Special Insertion/Extraction training)
    2. myself (2nd from left) and three Special Forces soldiers (5th SFG) in Pakistan 1993 Thrid man from left is Ret SF MSGT Frank Antenori who ran for the Sen in AZ a couple years ago.
    3. Pakistani Special Services Group (Special Forces) Platoon we helped train and train with
    4. myself (left) preparing to go on Recon mission in 1988--

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

It looks like you put on a few pounds since Vietnam.:D:D:D
  3. goldenwings

goldenwings New Member

That picture on top waiting for the SPI rig--the buldge in my cover I put in my shirt to keep it safe during the ride--but yes, I entered the Corps at 5'10" and 165lbs, came home from two tours of Vietnam at 125 and retired at 190. I weigh in at 230 now.
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Sounds a lot like me. I went in at 155. In nam I lost a lot of wt...dont know how much but was downright skinny. Avoided the heavies in C Rats and lived mostly on canned fruit, cheese, peanut butter, and crackers, and humped my azz off. Up until I was almost 30 i weighed 160 the got up to around 200 for most of working life. Now I'm retired due to disability (bad back) and get no exercise. I'm up to almost 270...it's killing me. I'm only 5'9". Hopefully after more surgery I will be able to at least walk without pain and can shed a few pounds.

great pics

BTW..What is your opinion of the Pakistanis. Can they fight? Are they dedicated to killing Taliban?
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  5. goldenwings

goldenwings New Member

Well, I work PT for the City of Tampa and also for Hisborough County working Parks and Rec for both. I went to Iraq in 07 and worked a year running a gym/recreation facility on an Army base in Scania, Iraq.

I also have a PT business of my own where I teach close-combat/self-defense.

I am also a semi-pro/high school/youth football official. I am the booking agent for my high school group and have my own youth organization.

I am at the gym 4 to five times a week--not bad for a man who will hit 60 in Aug.

My son was a eight year infanty Marine doing a tour in Afghanistan and two in Iraq. He got out as a SSgt in 06 and became a firefighter and went to Iraq as a civilian firefighter in May of last year. He returns home for a vacation on Monday and then will go do another year over there.

During my time in the Coprs--I was did some time as a Primary Marksmanship instructor/weapons instructor and close-combat instructor.

The SSG guys we worked with in 93 and 94 were some pretty good troops who could hump our asses off in the mountains we were in (near the area close to the Tora Bora mountains--we were near the Kyber Pass) They could shoot and they were pretty tough--the regular army guys I saw were not that great--just paid more than starving.

Can't really say how motivated they are or what their religious thoughts are or whether they are dedicated to killing Taliban assholes.
    Last edited: May 13, 2009