other than where you are

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Feb 25, 2009.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have been thinking again and that is always a reason to worry folks :eek:

Now don't rush your answer but please post an answer because I really would like to hear what y'all have to say.

Other than where you are living right now where would you want to live ?
    The mountains or the plains, maybe up north in the cold or down south in Texas where it is so hot the reptiles hide in the middle of the day.
    I love the rockies but hate the snow I like streams, creeks and rivers but there is something to say about the snakes, gators and small bugs.
    I will settle for the south along a good size creek with fish for food and trees for the game. I would like to have a remote site to retreat to other than the one in Montana, it just may be to far to travel there now that I am older.
    One thing is for sure I will never live in another city of any size, over a couple thousand people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where would you like to be? why?
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

US South West. Arizona.

Still in love with it.
  3. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

358;
    Great idea for psot IMHO.

I guess I have the best of all worlds now and I have worked every day for the past 56 years to get it. Now I just enjoy and have as many friends as possible visit and enjoy with us.
    I have my place in Phoenix and still own the range (it is currently being sold after building it from a dream and owning it for the past 21 yrs). Many years ago we bought 35 acres (when land was very cheap in that area) in the White Mountains of Eastern AZ in the pines. Only built a small apartment in the barn but big enough and with all the amenities for the two of us and the dogs.
    We have 10 acres and a home on the beach in Ocean Park, Wa to spend the hot summers every year. I do a lot of sturgeon and salmon fishing while there. This was a place owned by my wife's family and it is ours now as they have all passed. Her dad bought it when it was nothing but a beach dune in 1942 just after the Japs bombed PH. It is now covered with old growth spruce and pines with a small three bedroom beach house.
    Then for the fishing and prairie dog shooting my family still has the cattle ranch in SW Wy. I can go there several times each summer to shoot or go fly fishing and visit with my son and grandkids.
    It makes everything that I had to put up with all those years worth every minute now and I am truly fortunate to have made the decisions when I did.
    As soon as the range sells I will only have the holster company and it is being managed very well so I can go and take as much time in any one of the places that I want to do.

Take care all.

UF
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Outside of Mason, Texas.
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I would be hard pressed to live in any location other than West Virginia. But I have always thought that the Outer Banks of North Carolina would be a nice place for a second home.
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I wish for a cabin in the woods, but I would have to have internet access to keep in touch with all the fine members of this forum.
  7. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Been looking into land in S E Kansas. Like many rural areas they have had quite an outflow of population and there are some good deals. Would want about 15 acres of bottom ground to grow a garden and livestock feed. Work the ground with a couple of big horses or a team of mules. I like being around them and can fix whatever harness or implements that are associated with them.

Some stream frontage would be nice. They have some great flathead fishing down there. The lay of the land is very un-Kansas like, clearwater streams and small rivers running between rocky ridges that are covered in hardwoods or pasture. The mast feeds a ton of deer and turkeys and squirrels. Have to get some hounds because I just love to coon hunt. Haven't done that in years.

As a "hunker down" spot it is secluded and far from any urban area. With some tillable acres and the forest you could be practically self sustaining. And the terrain is very much like what we have up on the Korean DMZ. Very easy to defend. With a dozer or a front-end loader doing some work at a few road choke points, anybody that wants to visit had best bring a company of combat engineers.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I think Cumberland County, Kentucky, would be just about perfect for me.
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Ruby Valley, Nevada. I wonder if the Crosby's would sell.

Pops
  10. I like where I am now in Colorado, but if I had to choose another area, it would definitely be one of the least populated states, probably Montana, Wyoming, or one of the Dakotas. I love the South and the people there, but I don't like the heat and humidity during the summer months.
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Well in a perfect world I would love to have a small piece of property in Grand Isle, La where you could simply bring a travel trailer and stay in the summer. The fishing is world class.

For the other 9 months of the year Rocksprings, uvalde, Kerville Tx. Somewhere away form people and on a ranch. Here is why, i am tired of dealing with ignorant people. I am tired of red lights, yield signs, people telling you what you can and can't do. Just tired of it. Wanna be some place where the people you do have around you think like you do.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I took some time to think about this one. I am in love with the Crater Lake area of Oregon, and I love the Rockies, and the Grand Tetons, as well. The Ozarks are also beautiful, as well as the Appellation mountains. I love the white sands of Destin, FL. I have played in the water of the Gulf, the Atlantic, and the Pacific. Great places, and each amazing in it's own way. But, ya know what, I like it right here where I am. The fishing is great, just like the hunting. The hunting I do is no more than 100 yds form my front door, and I have a pond that is stocked with Blue Channel Cat, and Copper Nose Bream. I suppose I would like to own a little more land, but the 7 acres I do have will do. I'm not too far from medical help if needed, and not too far from the big discount shops, about 35 miles in any direction to a town of any kind. I am no longer able to walk the hills and mountains, chase the game, and fish the streams like I used to do. This old flat land here in East Texas seems to fit me, about as well as I fit it!
  13. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

In or around the area between Missoula and Kalispell MT.
    Or in a more general and larger description would be from between Salmon ID and Kalispell MT.
  14. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I spent some time in the woods they are very nice but I don't like snow.
  15. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

NE corner of Oregon, Little village called Enterprise. Nestled in the Wallowa valley Next to the Eagle Cap Wilderness area.
    purdy'st place on earth.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  16. vytoland

vytoland New Member

adjacent to or within the Shawnee National Forest in southern illinois.........nature at its best............moderate temperatures............away from people
  17. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Somewhere where I could look out the door and see snow capped mountains (and where I could fish for trout!).
    Hopefully the kids would live within a reasonable distance from wherever I would be.

No blue states please! (no offense to those of you in blue states!)
  18. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'd move just a little north of where I am now, to the mountains around Asheville, NC. The only problem is that I couldn't afford anything up there as the half-backs have already discovered it. :(
  19. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Either the area around the Palo Duro in the NW Texas or near Lake Agnes in Colorado. Solitude and beauty is mostly what I crave.
    Chris
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  20. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Ponycar. Gotta ask, what's a 'halfback'?