Our Cattle Ranch Burned

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TRAP55, Jul 4, 2012.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

We lost about a third of our cattle ranch in SE Idaho last week. A guy in a pickup drove up the frontage road to I-15 with barbed wire wrapped around his drive line leaving the local dump. The wire threw sparks into the dry grass, and the winds took it from there.
    The good news is the firefighters used a Cat to cut a break around the log cabin my great grandfather built, and the tractor barn, saving it all.
    The locals are the real heroes. With no hesitation, they hooked up and brought livestock trailers in to evacuate the stock, and an army of quad runners to herd them in. We lost a lot of fence and pasture, but it could have been much worse.
    Our neighbor north of us lost most of his pasture after the fire whipped through a stand of 100+yr old cedars and went over the top of the peak, and onto his place.
    They're calling it the Welton Fire, here's a local news story:

Malad Summit Fire

MALAD CITY, Idaho -

A wildfire that sparked Tuesday evening near the Malad Summit was burning 350 acres by Thursday, the Eastern Idaho Interagency Fire Center said.

The fire had previously been reported at 150 acres, but the number grew due to more accurate mapping.

The Welton Fire is burning two miles north of Malad City on Interstate 15 on private land. It did not grow since Tuesday night, when it was spreading south.

Firefighters from the BLM, Forest Service and Oneida County have been fighting the flames using fire engines and air tankers. The fire was 80 percent contained as of Thursday morning, and the agencies hoped to have full containment by 7 p.m. Thursday.

No structures are known to be threatened at this time. Firefighters believe the fire is human-caused.
    [​IMG]
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Nothing better than good neighbors. :)

God bless them all and the fighters.
  3. jce07a

jce07a New Member

thats rough, lucky you've got a good community that was willing to help out
  4. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss. glad the cattle made it.
    if you get some rain your pasture will actually be better since it burnt
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Glad damage was minimal Trap. The fences may be mended and the pastures will grow back. Glad no lives were lost.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry for your trouble.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Wow, what a story -and- thanks always to our police and fire crews....plus good neighbors. Priceless!
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Glad to hear you are all ok. Its hot and dry all the way to Canada around here.
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Glad your cattle were saved and nobody was hurt. WV Hillbilly is right that burnt grass will grow back next year s green and full of nutrients.
    I had a bad lawn a few years back and a guy I work with told me to use a rosebud and burn the old grass in the fall. I did and the next year my grass was the best around.
    Hopefully everything gets back to normal for you. Thank god for great neighbors and firefighters that helped you out.
  10. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

glad you are ok. Sorry for you loss of cattle. also glad the cabin your grandfather built was spared. That has to be priceless to you.
  11. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I'm glad everyone is OK and no cattle were lost. You are luckey to have such good neighboors that arn't afraid to jump in and help get the job done. So glad you did not lose the log cabin, that would have hurt.
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

The cabin was the first thing I asked about, then the livestock.
    We work our place with my cousins place. It's going to be tough on the water/feed with twice as many steers crammed onto his pasture, and the price of hay is through the roof.
    The cedar trees that burned, are shelter for the cattle and game animals. Pasture grows back, fences can be fixed, but those trees are so slow growing, they won't be the same in my lifetime.
    It's frustrating being out here in Calif and not being there to do anything, or survey the damage. And I was camping up in the Sawtooths near Stanley while this was happening, and didn't know a thing about it until I just got back home. The one year I didn't swing by the ranch because of time and gas prices, go figger.:mad:
  13. geds

geds New Member

Ditto what everyone else said Trap. Are they going to hold the guy that started it accountable?
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id hope they wouldnt. It was an accident wasnt it?
  15. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Accident, but still careless, he drove a long way with sparks flying. The state/county are suppose to have the weeds mowed down on the shoulder too, but it's Idaho, and that'll probably be a dead end. Small as Malad City is, the driver is most likely a relative anyhow. He's going to have enough problems when he gets the bill from the Fire Dept.
    Dad turned it over to the insurance to deal with, that's why we pay them the big bucks.
    I pity the poor sob that has to set new fence posts, that ground sets up like concrete in the summer time. I wore out a auger and a bucket full of shear pins digging holes just to build a loading chute. Had to fill the holes with water to soften them up enough to continue digging the next day.
    In the spring, it's a little more solid than chocolate pudding.:)