Our good friend called COSMOLINE

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by AdamMO, Apr 5, 2011.

1. AdamMO

AdamMO New Member

Just bought my 4th Tokarev pistol, a Yugo M57, I think its in pretty good shape. Its compleletly packed in cosmoline. Could anyone help me out and tell me what has worked best for them in cleaning this stuff out>?
  2. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

boiling hot water for me. Its what I use on old SKS's from time to time. I just fill up a big tank outdoors and break the gun down and start scrubbing with a nylon brush or an old tooth brush. The hotter the better because it just melts the cosmoline. Get some thick rubber gloves.
  3. AdamMO

AdamMO New Member

I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes sense. It is grease after all and will just melt away. Don't know how safe it is, lol, but its a good idea. Thank you.
  4. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

well, you have to dry everything off just after you clean it.
  5. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

6. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

I do know that paint thinner in a fiberglass bathtub wont work. It wont turn out well for the bathtub either...
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I use low odor mineral spirits. Works quite well for me.
  8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I generally use Denatured Alcohol on any but the worst almost caked on semi solid cosmoline queens. Some of those Commie Conscripts were VERY liberal in applying cosmoline to their weapons before long term storage....LOL

But the oldest and most dangerous method for removing caked on cosmo, but it works well, is gasoline in a metal container and a paint brush....just make sure you use a VERY small amount, OUTDOORS, and AWAY from anything flammable.

I cleaned up a LOT of old cosmo queen M91/30s like that....just try and remove any metal or plastic parts such as grips/stocks FIRST.

For particularly caked parts soaking in gasoline will do wonders, but for most I poured a little gasoline in a metal coffee can and brushed it on and the crud off over a metal catch pan.

But for GOD sakes do not smoke, or have soarks or campfires or whatever nearby:eek: and rubber gloves are advised.

For the wood/plastic parts, 'Easy Off' oven cleaner works pretty well, but will also remove stock finish too.

But any good degreaser will work on wood, and again I generally use denatured alcohol.
  9. Texxut

Texxut Member

I find that low odor mineral spirits works better than anything I've tried. That and a tooth brush will dissolve even the hardest cosmolene. I use an air-compressor to blow out the nooks and crannies when the cosmo is softened. It does remove every spec of oil and grease too, so oil it up again. This is where the compressor really comes in handy. Oil it very well then blow it off with the air, this serves to remove excess oil while moving oil back into all the tiny spaces. It's difficult to get oil in some places with a patch or swab, but you can move oil any where you want with air.
  10. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

I read an article when I was first getting into collecting old rifles about a guy that bought one of those handheld steamer cleaners and really like it because it would put out a consistant 150 degree steam which got into all the nooks and crannies.
  11. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

I know a lot of guys that have used brake cleaner to clean their sks's, too.
  12. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I,ll second the Brake Cleaner,,,enjoy your Yugo I love mine
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  13. nynomad

nynomad New Member

Brake cleaner worked for me.