Out of Ammo...Damn snakes

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jdon72, Oct 11, 2009.

1. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

We were out hunting the other night and when I got off the stand, I needed to change the disk in the trail cam. On the way back, Something slithered across the path. I was going to let it go and my buddy Bill said shoot it. I had never seen a rattle or copperhead live in the woods and thought it was a rattler. But heard no rattle and knew it had to be a copperhead. By this time it was almost off the path and it changed direction and went to the right. I had my pistol drawn (glock 20 10mm) and fired without aiming...just pointing (keep in mind I had a mag light in the left hand and pistol in right.) at the direction. Well the little bastard turned and came toward us so I tried to aim by putting the hands next to each other and the snake flew about 5 ft back and still kept coming toward us. Bill's son (@35 yrs) had his ar15 (to shoot hogs...it was the only gun he brought down that had a working scope) and gave it a lead storm...@18 rds were expired and the snake went up and back and still kept coming. I shot a few more time and the snake finally stopped about 7 ft away. I checked my mag and no rounds left so i used all but 1..one in the chamber b/c it did not slide back and stay. I was right and had one left when I checked. I shot 11 shots.

I put this story in here because I reload my 10mm and now am looking for shake shot to reload or buy. Any suggestions? I could rig something up but do not want to screw something up. I am sure the pressure will not build up as much but want some input...What do others do? or what should I do.

Thanks guys

Jeff
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ruger Sec-Six with shot shell and 130gr hyrdashok. When in the woods, I like to have a revolver at my side.
  3. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I had thought about getting the taurus judge which can shoot both 44 long colt and 410 shotshell...but I would want more shots if a hog pops out when I walk down the trail (we have a whole lot of hogs down here).
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

If you can't stop'em with 5 shots of 410 3"mags and 45 colt, then I think the handgun becomes obsolete at that point. :eek: Time to pull the bowie ! I think the Judge would be a great asset out in the bush.
  5. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Maybe you should give up the guns and carry a shovel. You can't run a shovel out of ammo. The problem isn't the ammo. The problem is that you can't hit what you are shooting at. Snake loads out of a pistol are good to 8 or 10 feet max and six feet is better. If you are not willing to get that close then the best bet is stay out of the woods. Personally, I would have just gone over and stomped his head. Maybe a Claymore mine......
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Again guys...i was shooting over the snakes head...most of the shots were pointed and not aimed...if it were a hog, which i have seen more of at night, it would have been a goner. Snake was 2 ft long and tiny head....the times i did aim, it was hit.

But the question remains...how to make a snake load?

Any advice...

Thanks for the slams on missing...

J
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

I don't know of a snake load for 10mm but I make a nice .45 snake load using cut-down 7.62 brass. Works great. Maybe a note to RCBS will get their interest enough to make dies. There have to be a lot of others who would buy the dies.
  8. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

How do you make the load? do you cut the brass and crimp, add pellet and load into the shell? do you use the reg bullet seater or some other way to set the bullet in?

Thanks
    J
  9. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I use a S&W model 63 revolver, .22LR, with CCI shotshells in it for snakes and rodents. Works great at close range.
  10. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Don't think you can do shot loads for semi-auto pistols. There is a lot of info on this for revolvers though. I looked for the same thing one time for my G20 but could find nothing for it.
  11. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I have seen shotshell loads for 40 cal and others but not 10mm. I thought about getting the 40 cal and transfering to the 10mm but do not want to pay the money and then do the work.

J
  12. olehippy

olehippy New Member

What’s wrong with leaving the little guy alone? Sounds to me like he was just getting out of your way!

You might want to watch a few less cowboy movies and spend a LOT more time on the range if your going to be able to drop retreating snakes in the moonlight! Sorry to be a prick here, but I kill for meat or if I HAVE to, this BS just don’t qualify in my thinking.

Miles
  13. red14

red14 Active Member

I have to agree with olehippy.

If he was almost away, why kill him? Sounds like the reason he came at you was because you kept shooting at him. It was self defense!

29 shots for a 2' snake?
  14. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I believe in only harvesting an animal for food or self defense...but when it come to poisonous snakes, kill them...i have let king snakes go with no problem. I have even let bobcats go...now coyotes are another issue...they ruin the game that is out there and there is an overabundance here. They have been taking alot of wildlife here....although I have not seen one yet.

Think about the next day I am out walking the same trail with my kids or my dog and that same snake was by the trail and we walked up on him...kill the snakes that could cause damage to you.

Thanks for the comments...but again, any info on snake shot.

J
  15. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009