Out with the Mosin Nagant today

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by terryu1, Jan 29, 2012.

1. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

So I finally got the Mosin out. Not quite the kick I was expecting. I didn't shoot enough to get it completely sighted in. Just wanted to get some lead downrange. The action was quite tight, Could be from not being fired in a while ?? It was cold and we set the range on fire!! No kidding. My future son-in-law was shooting and he hit high on the bank backing the range. We were the only one on this end and about 15 minutes later we noticed smoke behind the backstop. We walked out and there was a grass fire on the bank. No one else was around. Closest we could figure it a round hit a rock or something near top of bank and generated so much heat striking and then tumbling down the back side of the backstop that it set the very dry grass on fire. Is this possible??? Anyway here are some pics of my future SIL and his father shooting his .357 revolver.

Attached Files:

2. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I shot a few hundred rounds through mine today. It was great. :)
  3. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

I had 2 other buddies fall in love with it and I just finished cleaning it. I hate corrosive rounds. :(
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

If you were shooting surplus rounds, they're steel cored and could start a fire. If you get tired of beating on the front sight to adjust it, here's a guy that will be happy to sell you a pretty slick adjusting tool for whichever Mosin you might have.

www.elby.yolasite.com
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A bad day at the range trumps a great day at work. I do like that weapon tray on the bench.. gives me an idea..
  6. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

I want a m44 so badly. Great assault rifle and easier to carry than the m91/30
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

good to see , them mosin's are sweet eh

now you know why we all like em so much

nothing like a good battle rifle , just something about em
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I think mogunner answered your question.
  9. terryu1

Yes I was shooting the older surplus rounds so that may have been it. I saw that adjustment tool, I also like the fiberoptic front site post that is available. Yes Marlin, I had a few people come over to look at it, including one old guy who said he had one and asked how to load it as he was having trouble?? He asked if those strips help. PA state gameland ranges only allow three rounds in rifle at a time so I just loaded from top without strips but I had some I got when I bought a recoil pad for it so I gave him two and showed him how to use them. He thought the entire strip had to fit into the gun??

I think I am going to take the recoil pad off of it and put metal butt plate back for appearance and the pad is so hard it really does not help much. Gun is long enough without those extra two inches LOL.

Yes Jack I fell in love with it and took a little extra time with the windex and then thorough cleaning and light oil for next trip.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

looks like you had alot of fun.
  11. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Them MN's are addicting!
  12. Grizz

Grizz Member

Gotta love the Mosin!!!
  13. bufford

bufford New Member

I've got 2 91/30s and 1 M44 myself, 1 round receiver and 1 hex receiver, both are in very good to excellent condition, had to do alot of cleaning on all of them but sure worth the time spent, cheap ammo helps alot with staying out shooting them too, just have to clean them right away and they will treat you to a long time of shooting fun
  14. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I've shot steel at night with regular hunting rounds and I could see red hot I assume metal ricocheting from the target. I suppose a rock could do the same.
  15. terryu1

Yes, I believe that is what happened. They had a lot of gravel dumped on the backstop. It may have hit a few chunks just right to roll it up and over the bank.

Question though??? The action is quite tight. It is difficult to close the bolt. After cleaning thoroughly I lightly oiled with some "Silver Bullet Gun Oil" and that stuff is magical. It may help. I will find out next week. Any other suggestions??

Another note from my range trip. The recoil was not near as bad as I expected. I had purchased one of those cheap recoil pads that screw right into the holes in the butt of the stock. I have since taken it off and replaced the metal butt plate for appearance.
  16. Grizz

Grizz Member

Personally I like the limbsaver recoil pad for my Mosin. It's one of those slip on type. They have really sticky rubber so they stay in place.
  17. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

What I've heard is that most of them were shooting steel cased ammo coated with lacquer. So when they were shot a lot, the chamber would get hot making the lacquer sticky and adhering to the chamber. So naturally the lacquer would collect more dirt throughout the years.

So you need to clean the chamber thoroughly.

Here is an article about cleaning a Mosin Nagant.
    Mosin Nagant Rifle Cleaning and Maintenance

Here is the part about cleaning the chamber.
    I would go easy with that method, then on your next range trip see if it needs more cleaning.

Good Luck!
  18. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

just bought a mosin nagant the other day. good thing i wasnt collecting just want it for shooting. none of the serial numbers match. but only paid 90$ so i fine with it. now got to find the ammo
  19. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My sons friend bought one of these and took it to the range with us. He only paid $100 for it so I thought it was junk. It was a good accurate shooter. I may buy one myself.
  20. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

I really like my M44. The thing really spits fire from the bore, very noticable in the daylight.