Out with the Mosin Nagant today

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by terryu1, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

Personally I like the limbsaver recoil pad for my Mosin. It's one of those slip on type. They have really sticky rubber so they stay in place.
  2. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

What I've heard is that most of them were shooting steel cased ammo coated with lacquer. So when they were shot a lot, the chamber would get hot making the lacquer sticky and adhering to the chamber. So naturally the lacquer would collect more dirt throughout the years.

So you need to clean the chamber thoroughly.

Here is an article about cleaning a Mosin Nagant.
    Mosin Nagant Rifle Cleaning and Maintenance

Here is the part about cleaning the chamber.
    I would go easy with that method, then on your next range trip see if it needs more cleaning.

Good Luck!
  3. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

just bought a mosin nagant the other day. good thing i wasnt collecting just want it for shooting. none of the serial numbers match. but only paid 90$ so i fine with it. now got to find the ammo
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My sons friend bought one of these and took it to the range with us. He only paid $100 for it so I thought it was junk. It was a good accurate shooter. I may buy one myself.
  5. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

I really like my M44. The thing really spits fire from the bore, very noticable in the daylight.