Oven broke need help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan42, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I walked by my oven and noticed it was puting out heat.I looked at the dial and the oven was turned off but when I opened the oven door the heating element was glowing red.Any one wanta take a stab at it.I turned the breaker off.
  2. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Your control is bad the part behind that knob.
  3. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

More than likely your "dial" is bad. But...........

However more info is needed though. Does your oven just have a single knob, or 2? In other words, is there a thermostat and a oven select, or just a thermostat. If there is 2 knobs (ie switchs) then either one could be bad. Your element requires 220 volts to run. Some models supply 110 to the element at all times, and the oven set switch then supplys the other 110 to either the bake or the broil depending on which you select, and the t-stat doesn't have a off position. Others use the same setup but the t-stat has a off position and supplys the other 110volts rather than leaving power potential to the element.
    If it just has one knob then it could still be set up either 110 all the time and the t-stat supplys the other half, or the t-stat could supply the entire 220v.

It could also just be a broken wire or a shorted element.

Do you have a multi meter? and more important, do you know how to use it?
    Is your oven, a wall oven or a range? A range being a oven and cooktop unit. A oven is a oven, a cooktop is a cooktop, but a cooktop and a oven is a range:D Just want to know what it is we are working on.

I can tell you how to diagnose but I need to know where to start ya. let me know what brand, and model number and I'll help you out.
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

WE have an elec range but also have a wood cookstove that we use all winter long. If ya ever see one that ain't burnt out, pick it up; food tastes better cooked on a woodstove.
  5. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

leave it on and tell the wife to get baking. she can stop when the oven quits. if she needs a break she can take one every half hour to bring you a beer then it's back to the kitchen
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Look up the make, and model on line. You can down load a repair manual for it.
  7. Appliancedude

Not always. Believe me I've looked:(
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Its a hotpoint and it only has one control for the oven.I just discovered that the bottom element in the oven is broken into.I removed the element and I will get another one tommorrow.Thanks guys.
  9. Appliancedude

Its nice when you don't have to break out a meter to diagnose:D Good find, easy fix, love those:D
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Oh it is a range appliancedude
  11. Appliancedude

lol, well now that we understand one another:D
  12. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've read this thread several times and am confused on a few points.

[Also you don't just mess around with gas furnaces, electric ranges, etc. they can have dangerous consequences.]

You have a broken element BUT the original problem was a glowing element and heat coming out with the control knob set at OFF? Hmmmm.

Might need to know more there Ryan. I'm sure we can iron this out and yes I also agree Model, S/N, all that is very helpful plus how old is this unit?
  13. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Sounds like Appliancedude has ya on the right track Ryan.
    The broken element was probably caused by being on too long. Most likely,as mjp28 surmised, the thermostat part of the oven control is stuck on and the element is energized constantly instead of intermittently cycling to maintain a set temp.

I didn't do much large appliance work when I was running my electronics shop...mostly just for family and neighbors...so I don't have much on hand for manuals. But if you want to, PM me or post up the make/model/serial and I'll dig in my library too.
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yes, and if Ryan replaces the element, control still on OFF position and it comes on again looks like the control may be faulty.

Let us know what happens. ;)
    edit add - and how old is it? Some old electric ranges can go bad all over, wiring, etc, that's why I prefer gas.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  15. Appliancedude

OK let me see if I can make the muddy water clearer. More than likely its just the element. It definitely could have deeper issues.

On some ranges and GE being the biggest (hotpoint is one of GE's lines) to do it, they run 110v to the element from the terminal block. So the element has 110v to it at all times. The thermostat when turned on then supplys the needed other 110v to energize the element. Now if the element pops and the inside shorts to ground it will use the cavity as a neutral and energize with just 110. It will glow. Not as bright as with 220v but it will turn orange. All elements will pop at some point. Don't care what brand, don't care the age. All elements will pop at some point. I carry about 5 bake elements, 2 broil elements and a variety of cooktop elements because of this fact. More than likely it was just a burnt out element. It could have just as easily been a small pop and no heat, as an extreme pop that shorts to chassis.

Regardless he has to change the element first. If it works great, if it glows with the t-stat off, then at that point the t-stat is bad. From my experience, I doubt it will go that far.

Ryan, if your worried about it, very carefully measure across your two wires to the element. Each one to chassis, and to each other. If you have 220 to each other, your t-stat is bad, if you have 110 to chassis on one wire and nothing on the other, your fine.