Oven broke need help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan42, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Most of the time you won't have much pain from an electrical shock. You might strain the muscles from the spasms or what you get thrown against, but usually the nerves get fried from the electricity and they'll actually go numb.

I've been across 110vac more times than I care to count. Usually when I choke up to tight on the wire stripper or screwdriver and slip off of the insulation. DOH!
    I've only been hit by 277vac (one leg of 480v 3-phase to earth ground) once though...that's enough for me. Couldn't feel anything but a buzz in that fingertip for two days and I'm sure I cooked some of the nerves permanently.
    Back when I was fixing TVs daily, I tangled with single shots of 25kv plus from charged up CRTs a few times when discharging the tubes. Not fun either!

One of my instructors in college warned us that "60Hz really hurts!" :) I still re-learn that lesson the hard way some days though.

The moral of the story is...make sure you unplug what you're working on and even then, double-check that you've got no juice on a wire before you touch it with your bare hands!!!
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

I've been hit by 220 twice. Cause I'm a slow learner and didn't learn from the first fight. 110 gets me a lot, cause i have to have the machine working to diagnose it most of the time. 110 hurts. Not so much anymore but still hurts.

Carefull if you ever work on a microwave. AND JUST FYI. I will not give any advise on them. High voltage capacitors can store upwards of 4000v. Even with the micro unplugged, if that cap is charged and you touch it, well I'll send flowers to your funeral.
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

The scary thing, it's not the voltage that kills you it's the current and if it goes through your heart.

As little as 65 ma can stop your heart.

Normally if you get bit it runs down your hand to foot or whatever.

OLD TIP only wire hot with one hand! If you grab with both hands it might go through your chest....might be game over!

And with that good night. :)
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, I won't advise anyone to repair a microwave anymore...they're disposable, just buy a new one.

It's not the caps that scare me though, I have a healthy respect for stored energy.
    What gets me real twitchy are those darned magnetrons throwing high-freq RF around.
    I know a local navy vet that was inside the radome of a surface radar system (a really BIG magnetron) when it was energized. He's got permanent brain and nerve damage.
    You've all seen the movie Gremlins or heard the tales of the kids putting kitty in the micro to dry it off right?
  5. Appliancedude

On a household micro, the mag is nothing to be twitchy about. the energy is focused into a contained cavity. The only concern is leakage. And thats only when its energized.

Another funny story. Well its funny now:rolleyes:

I was in the shop and working on a microwave. Had the cover off, it was on a cart that put it a little above waist high. I had it running and was doing some tests. I started feeling real sick. So I walked outside to get some air. Felt better and went back to the microwave. Started it up and went back to testing. Started to get real sick again. What the? Went and grabbed my leak tester. The damned mag was leaking. Not from around the door seal, but from around the backside of the damned thing. I was sitting there microwaving my insides.

Ok so maybe its not such a funny story. I have a very healthy respect for microwaves. Which is why I won't advise anyone on how to fix them. Ask me all you guys want on anything else.
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

My dad started repairing TVs in the early 1950s, well we kids used to strip down the old junk chasis for parts, saved everything. Before starting with the soldering iron we took small screwdrivers on the small capacitors and dead shorted all of them to make sure none were still charged.....they'll hold a charge a long, long time.

At first my dad did the big ones, those old TVs transformers went up to 20 to 25,000 volts, quite a kick, and made for great projects like Jacob's ladders, you know like in the old Frankenstein movies. :eek:

That's why be careful where you stick your hands.
  7. Appliancedude

A guy I worked with got real lucky with a charged microwave cap. he touched it with the back of his hand and blew a hole out the side of his index finger. Yep, I do call that lucky. He was still around to tell me about it.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

We didn't forget you Ryan, so how'd you make out with the oven?
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Thanks mjp I got a new element for 33 bucks and shes working like new.Now I got another problem but I have to make a new thread for that one.lol
  10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Hey that's great. :)
  11. Appliancedude

SWEET!!!