Over powder wads, revolver

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by c.robertson, Jan 25, 2011.

1. c.robertson

c.robertson New Member

First day & first post.

Would like feed back / opinion on the following:
    I just made a bunch of lubed over powder cards out of paper mache egg cartons. The lube was made from about 50% beeswax, 25% crisco, and 25% vegetable oil. The lube was poured hot over cut cards to soak in. It seems to have worked just fine. Card thickness is .055.

These wads will be used in 4 different .44/45 revolvers. One Uberti and one Pietta stainless target 1858 Remingtons and one Pietta blue 1858 Remington. Also a NEW Ruger high polish stainless with faux ivory grips.
    Interestingly, the Pietta Stainless Target takes .457 balls like the Ruger.

Thanks for any feed back.
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Welcome to TFF.

I like your idea. Try the wads out and see if they work. I have to say that they seem quite thin compared to commercial wads. You may have to double them up.
  3. c.robertson

c.robertson New Member

Thanks.
    Kinda figgured on doubling the wads up, perhaps 3 deep.
    Not exactly expensive. :D The lube is home made and I have 7 stick of it pluse 40 commercial.
  4. imray

imray New Member

Hi, are the wads you make to replace the commercial thick wool like wads to put in on top of the powder before the ball goes in?
    I have been shooting BP a couple decades and I simply use cornmeal, as thick as you wish. I usually put in about 15 grains worth from the powder measure in each chamber, when loading then press the ball in place, has saved me tons of $s in the past, as the wads are near .25 cents a peace in many stores now. I shot for years without anything, but when my kids started shooting and didn't know how to handle BP, I started the small safety measure of the cornmeal. It works great and is almost cheap as dirt. ha ha, best wishes, ray
  5. c.robertson

c.robertson New Member

Yes, that is the plan. Also thinking the lubed wads would aid a little in lubing the bore. As soon as I can find it, I will cut thicker felt wads to use, This is in the experiment stage right now.
    I also will be shooting the 220 grain conical bullets in the Ruger and Pietta target, both of which have .457 chambers, but will lube these bullets in the .458 sizer. They don't really 'size' the bullet, just lube the greas groves.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011