over pressurized?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jbeam, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jbeam

jbeam New Member

I just started reloading for my 300 wsm. ive only shot a box of factory ammo out of it so far. They were winchester 180gr power points. Well when i went to run them through the resizing die they don't fit. I have a bag of brand new winchester brass and they fit right in no poroblem. Now what i did notice is where you measure the pressure band at the bottom of the base, it is 10 thousands bigger than the new brass, which seems alot. but i don't know what size it was before it was fired. And also on the primer, the indent has a slight crater like there is to much pressure. Now this is a brand new rifle and factory ammo, but could it be possible that there is a little over pressurizing? the dies i have are reddings that i got from the local gun shop used and were soaked in grease. and i don't know if this is causing the case to get stuck, i cleaned it out but there could possibly be some in there. But to me it just dosn't seem right. I should be able to get that brass in the die. well if anyone has any info it would be great thanks.
  2. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

To make sure that I understand your point, you are unable to force a lubed case in the die by working the ram handle? Look at the top of the die, is it stamped 300 WSSM or something similar? It it is stamped 300 Win that might be your problem.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a .300 WSM.. Sounds to me like a normal resizing resistance of a 65K psi cartridge... Just lube it and run it in there. Brass swells to seal the chamber when its fired and it will stay stretched out afterwards. this is why you have to resize them to reload them.

New brass is un stretched and thats why it fits in the die. Load that stuff and shoot it and Im bettn youl see the same thing with it.
  4. jbeam

jbeam New Member

the die does say 300 wsm on it. And i did lube the case up and tried to send it up through the die but it gets stuck. I don't even put to much force on it and to get it out im pulling on my press handle so hard that its flexing on the bench. and its a good solid bench. I reload my 223 all the time so its not my first time reloading just this caliber.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

What kind of lube are you using?
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I recall the 270WSM being a bit tough, and I too was using a Redding die. I wonder if there isnt an issue with that "used" die. If you gave a good cleaning and degrease, and the sizing lubricant is properly applied, it may be a die manufactured out of spec.
  7. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

First, you MUST make sure you have removed all the grease. Take it apart and clean it real good with Breakclean or something similar. Do not lube or grease the die after it it totally clean.

Make sure the decapping rod/stem is not to low.

As Josh asked, what type of lube are you using? If it is a spray lube like One-Shot, that could be your problem. One-shot is responsible for more stuck cases than any other lube out there. One-shot works well for one shot. Take it to a gravel pit and give it one good shot at 100 yards, problem solved.
  8. al45lc

al45lc New Member

It is possible that your rifle's chamber was over reamed and is too large.
    If the suggestions don't work for sizing the cases, you may have to take the rifle to a smithy and have the chamber checked.
    My brother had a Remington like that a long time ago, it can happen.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats would be my next point of advise. Occasionally a turd slips by the QC dept at the firearms factory. I specifically recall a .243WSSM back when they first came out that would lock the bolt down with factory ammo. Seems, if I remember right, that when they chambered that rifle they forgot to give it any leade and it was spiking with factory ammo and extruding brass into the extractor recess thereby locking the bolt down. Good damn thing rem 700s an overly strong action because at the pressures im sure it was producing it could have easily turned the bolt into a projectile if the lugs had failed.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got a tub of case lube Muddobber here made about a year ago, sam and I were calling it TFF caselube. It stinks to high heaven but I aint ever had a case stick with it. Even oversized 7.62X54Rs glide right thru the sizer die after being fired in a worn out Mosin. Other than that stuff I use Lee paste lube diluted with 90% or better rubbing alcohol and prayed thru a spray bottle. Both lubes work perfect for me. and the Lee mix is very very economical, course so is the stuff Muddobber made, I aint even busted thru a 1/4 of that tub and i use it quite often.
  11. jbeam

jbeam New Member

thank you everyone for your help. I do use one shot. But i had a guy my dad knows, that has been reloading for a long time. And he said it was a hot load and there was no way i was going to get it in the die. Im going to load up some new brand new brass and see what happens with that. thanks again.
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Sorry, but NO. I have three 300 WSM rifles and I have gone over the limit a time or two, way over. They will size with the proper lube and the correct die. You friend is mistaken.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree. I have run .308 brass thru a FL sizer that had been fired with more than 50 gr of 2000MR under a 175 gr bullet for 3000 fps in a 26" barrel. Tell me those werent hot.. And they sized just fine. Primer pockets were pretty loose but they resized easily and reloaded fine.
  14. muddober

muddober Active Member

Guys: The one thing he is saying that concerns me is the 10 thousandths over the unfired brass, that is a bunch. If my memory serves me .003+ oversize is tell tale for over pressure. That being said .010 oversize should be no biggie to resize considering I make 257 STW out of 7mm STW, 256 Winchester out of 357 mag and 6mm/284 out of 284 Winchester with standard dies (not special case forming dies). I get very little case loss with the exception of the 357 to 256 which runs about 5%. Also sometimes I get 50 BMG cases that came out of a machine gun with visable bulges and they resize as well.

Ron
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That was my next point to make ron. The crafting odds out of common cartridge brass. Most often its done in normal dies with good case lube. Then prepped and fireformed.