overall legnth too long need suggestions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Mar 22, 2010.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3 to 4 years ago before i started reloading,a friend of mine loaded 300 6.5rem mag bullets for me.i immediately noticed the bolt was a little stiff in closing.Since i got into reloading i realized the cases weren't trimmed.some are .10 to long w/bullet installed.they shoot excellent,but if dangerous,i'll fix it with my seating die.i's this safe to shoot as is?Also he resized my other 300 brass and primed them w/out trimming.again some cases are too long which i could easily trim if they weren't primed.2 questions,one are the already loaded shells safe to shoot .10" too long?I've already fired 100 or so.And next about the 300 sized and primed cases that need trimming,should i fire all thes cases to get the primer out,or can i step back from the press and decapp all of them,so i can properly trim them?Maybe i should throw all the primed cases in the brass bucket and try to order new brass to start anew.But 300 6.5 rem cases are alot to waste. HELP Joe.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Is the OAL of the brass too long or just the loaded cartridge OAL. If just the cartridge OAL too long, you should be able to seat the bullets in another .10" to get them back into spec.

If it's the brass OAL that's too long...and for your .300 brass...
    I would pull the bullets and dump the powder, pop the primers by firing just the primed brass, resize/deprime and trim as needed.
    I know people that have deprimed live primers and reused em...but frankly doing that scares the heck out of me and it's not something I recommend anyone to try (even with primers being as hard to come by as they have been lately).

If the brass is too long, it might cause high pressures when fired because they'll extend a bit past the forward lip in the chamber.
    If the cartridge OAL is too long, the bullet jamming itself into the rifling can also cause high pressures.
    You MIGHT be able to continue to use those 6.5 mag loads as is if they're not displaying any high-pressure signs, but I wouldn't risk it. Most 6.5RemMag chambers have a long leade (the unrifled portion of the bore right after the chamber before the rifling begins) so you might have clearance there. Chamber one of the rounds, pull it back out and examine the bullet for any indications that it's getting jammed into the rifling. It is possible that the hard chambering is caused by the brass itself not being sized back quite enough and it's the shoulder of the brass itself that's tight instead of the bullet being shoved into the rifling.

I know it seems like a waste to pop those primers to be able to trim the brass...but better to waste a few primers than blow up a rifle and lose an eye or hand!
  3. accident

Thanks Bindernut.The loaded cartridges are too long w/bullets and from what i can tell,should have been resized before loading.I was just going to seat the bullets down to specs.The resized and primed cases i have will need the primers fired then resized,trimmed,and bullet seated properly.Even though i've shot many of the ones that are loaded i've never seen any signs of over pressure,even though the brass is long on some of them but i can't get good measure with the bullet installed.Joe
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

accident and all others who want to be safe reloaders:

Don't fire the cartridges that make the bolt close hard. Whether it be the excessively long overall cartridge length (bullet hitting the rifling) or the case throat jamming into the end of the chamber, both are pressure raiser and are dangerous situations. Pull the cartridges apart and reload them correctly.

I don't know what kind of case trimmer you have but my RCBS will trim cases whether they are primed or not. As there is nothing in the case trimmer that will set the primers off I see no reason to de-prime the brass to trim it.

If the brass was not sized before reloading it should be resized too. If you pull the depriming pin out of the sizing die you can (on most die sets) resize the cases without de-priming them. There is nothing in the sizing die that will set off the primer if done this way.

There are a couple of lesson here! The first is NEVER shoot ammo reloaded by someone else. Only you know for sure that every reloading step was done correctly. There are people out there that think they know how to reload who really don't have a clue. Every error in your ammo is covered in great detail in every reloading manual I have ever read. Obviously the guy who reloaded this ammo had not bothered to read his reloading manual if he even had one. So far you have been lucky in shooting this dangerous ammo. Stop shooting it now and tear it down and do it right, assuming you know how to do it right. If not then get a manual and read, re-read, and re-read it again until you are thoroughly familiar with the correct way to reload ammo.

You have no idea how close you were to disaster with this totally incorrectly reloaded ammo!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Two winters ago i bought out a guy that reloaded and sold ammo. I went through 1800 loaded rounds the guy made up and never sold. pulled bullets, through the powder out and pushed out the primers. I never had one go off, the primers i could reuse i did and the other ones are stell in a jig of water. And it is not the first time i've pulled out live primers. In no way i'm saying one can't go off. But if your careful you can do it pretty safe i think. But thats all up to you. I sold all the brass to a guy out west and that payed for every thing easl i got in the deal.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Listen to LD, he's spot on as usual. The loaded rounds are salvagable but shouldnzlt be fired until the problem is fixed. The 300 cases are an easy fi× as well. If for some reason you still want to scrap them. Just send them my way and I'll do it properly for you.
  7. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

I've never had that 'problem'.
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

LD is right. I'd find out where you're actually tight. My Lyman trimmer would also be able to trim primed cases. Either use a collet puller or a kinetic hammer puller to get the bullets out. If you're not absoliutlely sure of the powder type I'd dump it on your lawn. It's good fertilizer. It's worth the time re-doing the cartridges to be safe. Start at the start load & work up a good safe load for your rifle. Those loads were probably worked up for a different rifle by someone else?

I'm right now working on another 1500 rounds of berdan primed '06 machine gun ammo that have overlength cases & super hard primers. I'm putting the powder & bullets into boxer primed brass. Did 1500 the same way last year & it was worth the trouble. I feel your pain.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. accident

Thanks guys esp. L.D. again.I'll use my bullet puller and pull all bullets down and do them properly myself.I read books for a year before i even bought any reloading equipment so i can do it properly.My Lee trimmers have to fit in the flash hole to line up but i got plenty of LR primers.Powder he used should have been IMR4350 that i furnished.But i don't trust it.I'll reload all the ones he did (correctly! )that way no stiff bolt and no questions or problems.Thanks for the headsup! Joe